Ivy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi, I've planted lots of ivy taken from cuttings in and around one of our apiarys.
I'm still waiting for it to flower some 6 years on .

I'm growing it up walls , tree's, archways .
May be next year it will flower.

The variety is common ivy . I've also got variegated silver.
Here's a few facts about ivy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedera

As farmers we've been using ivy as a medicine , feeding the leaves to ewes that have lambed and are feeling down .
Has anyone else ever heard of this?.. the ivy has to be fresh and without berrys .

Last edited:
When I had a horse and goats - they all ate ivy, especially the young leaves - to no ill effect that was obvious to me. They also munched their way through a bamboo thicket as well !

Thanks I've read through the link anduril , only 4 years left possible ill get some photo's when I've sorted my tapatalk out of the arch which is willow, a yellow old fashioned rambling rose , clematis president which is dark blue and hedera helix .
I planted the willow first 16 years ago then added the rest over the years ... hopefully making it sound nice here!
They all flower and look good at different times of the year .
Will goats eat gorse murox

Thanks I've read through the link anduril , only 4 years left possible ill get some photo's when I've sorted my tapatalk out of the arch which is willow, a yellow old fashioned rambling rose , clematis president which is dark blue and hedera helix .
I planted the willow first 16 years ago then added the rest over the years ... hopefully making it sound nice here!

Goats eat soft growing tips...

My Persian Ivy took ten years. Usually full of bees, this year not a bee in sight, instead it's full of wasps. Oh, the odd Red Admiral as well.

As Madasafish, goats eat soft tips so they won't clear very prickly stuff. Maybe pigs will as they will uproot and dig.

Don't know how old you are but sense of taste and smell declines quite alot with age (half the number of gustatory and olfactory sensory cells at 80 compared to when you are 20 yrs old) . At 73yrs I still find smell and taste of ivy honey almost overpowering and will give up judging honey as soon as I find it a problem judging the light honey class.

Sounds lovely. It must be nice to have lived somewhere that long, to put down roots and see the results of past planting and stuff. Unfortunately I have moved around too many times to see those benefits. (Some of us have to keep moving or .......)

Sounds lovely. It must be nice to have lived somewhere that long, to put down roots and see the results of past planting and stuff. Unfortunately I have moved around too many times to see those benefits. (Some of us have to keep moving or .......)
It is my friend, the hill has got under my skin, but life will change, as it does and in 2 years time I will be at home on the farm hopefully the eldest will have the house on the hill.

Sending a DM :)

Only the soft growth as will sheep. Have a look at this NZ article about organic methods. Basically though its cut and burn and or dig.

Arch, excuse the mess picture taken late last winter. I've rendered the walls again this year, with a silicone based render with paint incorporated.
I also built the walls with windows in and was lucky enough to have a quarry at the end of the garden to build the stone walls.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_140933.jpg
    IMG_20200315_140933.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 21
Ivy has two stages of growth: the creeping and the arboreal (tree-like). When it's established the leaves lose the three-pointed shape and become variable, and it begins to form woody branches and on them, produce flowers. Anduril's ten years to wait for the arboreal stage is about right.

Hi, I've planted lots of ivy taken from cuttings in and around one of our apiarys.

I'm growing it up walls , tree's, archways .
May be next year it will flower.

The variety is common ivy . I've also got variegated silver.
Here's a few facts about ivy.

Hedera - Wikipedia

As farmers we've been using ivy as a medicine , feeding the leaves to ewes that have lambed and are feeling down .
Has anyone else ever heard of this?.. the ivy has to be fresh and without berrys .
I've always given ivy to my sheep, whenever l have any from pruning or hedge cutting, having removed berries first (a bit time consuming). They love it - it's gone in minutes. I understand a good source of iodine.

'Mairsey doats and dozey doats and liddle lamzy divey'

Ivy has two stages of growth: the creeping and the arboreal (tree-like). When it's established the leaves lose the three-pointed shape and become variable, and it begins to form woody branches and on them, produce flowers. Anduril's ten years to wait for the arboreal stage is about right.
Thanks Eric for your insight :).
You know your ivy

When I gardened for a living I learned the hard way. Loathed cutting it - a hedge full of it comes to mind. Took about three days to get over the breathing blockage.
It is dusty stuff to remove I've had to do it a few times

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back