Ivy

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
Hi, I've planted lots of ivy taken from cuttings in and around one of our apiarys.
I'm still waiting for it to flower some 6 years on .

I'm growing it up walls , tree's, archways .
May be next year it will flower.

The variety is common ivy . I've also got variegated silver.
Here's a few facts about ivy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedera

As farmers we've been using ivy as a medicine , feeding the leaves to ewes that have lambed and are feeling down .
Has anyone else ever heard of this?.. the ivy has to be fresh and without berrys .

Last edited:

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
When I had a horse and goats - they all ate ivy, especially the young leaves - to no ill effect that was obvious to me. They also munched their way through a bamboo thicket as well !

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
Thanks I've read through the link anduril , only 4 years left possible ill get some photo's when I've sorted my tapatalk out of the arch which is willow, a yellow old fashioned rambling rose , clematis president which is dark blue and hedera helix .
I planted the willow first 16 years ago then added the rest over the years ... hopefully making it sound nice here!
They all flower and look good at different times of the year .
Will goats eat gorse murox

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs
Thanks I've read through the link anduril , only 4 years left possible ill get some photo's when I've sorted my tapatalk out of the arch which is willow, a yellow old fashioned rambling rose , clematis president which is dark blue and hedera helix .
I planted the willow first 16 years ago then added the rest over the years ... hopefully making it sound nice here!
Goats eat soft growing tips...

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
My Persian Ivy took ten years. Usually full of bees, this year not a bee in sight, instead it's full of wasps. Oh, the odd Red Admiral as well.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
As Madasafish, goats eat soft tips so they won't clear very prickly stuff. Maybe pigs will as they will uproot and dig.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
My Persian Ivy took ten years. Usually full of bees, this year not a bee in sight, instead it's full of wasps. Oh, the odd Red Admiral as well.
And an enormous hornet this afternoon.

masterBK 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
wintering 30 + 2 polynucs
Don't know how old you are but sense of taste and smell declines quite alot with age (half the number of gustatory and olfactory sensory cells at 80 compared to when you are 20 yrs old) . At 73yrs I still find smell and taste of ivy honey almost overpowering and will give up judging honey as soon as I find it a problem judging the light honey class.

The Poot 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Sounds lovely. It must be nice to have lived somewhere that long, to put down roots and see the results of past planting and stuff. Unfortunately I have moved around too many times to see those benefits. (Some of us have to keep moving or .......)

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
Sounds lovely. It must be nice to have lived somewhere that long, to put down roots and see the results of past planting and stuff. Unfortunately I have moved around too many times to see those benefits. (Some of us have to keep moving or .......)
It is my friend, the hill has got under my skin, but life will change, as it does and in 2 years time I will be at home on the farm hopefully the eldest will have the house on the hill.

Sending a DM :)

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Only the soft growth as will sheep. Have a look at this NZ article about organic methods. Basically though its cut and burn and or dig.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
Arch, excuse the mess picture taken late last winter. I've rendered the walls again this year, with a silicone based render with paint incorporated.
I also built the walls with windows in and was lucky enough to have a quarry at the end of the garden to build the stone walls.

Attachments

ericbeaumont 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Ivy has two stages of growth: the creeping and the arboreal (tree-like). When it's established the leaves lose the three-pointed shape and become variable, and it begins to form woody branches and on them, produce flowers. Anduril's ten years to wait for the arboreal stage is about right.

Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Hi, I've planted lots of ivy taken from cuttings in and around one of our apiarys.

I'm growing it up walls , tree's, archways .
May be next year it will flower.

The variety is common ivy . I've also got variegated silver.
Here's a few facts about ivy.

Hedera - Wikipedia

As farmers we've been using ivy as a medicine , feeding the leaves to ewes that have lambed and are feeling down .
Has anyone else ever heard of this?.. the ivy has to be fresh and without berrys .
I've always given ivy to my sheep, whenever l have any from pruning or hedge cutting, having removed berries first (a bit time consuming). They love it - it's gone in minutes. I understand a good source of iodine.

'Mairsey doats and dozey doats and liddle lamzy divey'

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
Ivy has two stages of growth: the creeping and the arboreal (tree-like). When it's established the leaves lose the three-pointed shape and become variable, and it begins to form woody branches and on them, produce flowers. Anduril's ten years to wait for the arboreal stage is about right.
Thanks Eric for your insight :).
You know your ivy

Latest posts