Ivy Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Did an inspection of a colony I keep in someone else's garden and they are my calmest bees, what a joy to work with, no smoke, only latex gloves to keep propolis off hands - lovely.

They had built some brace comb that fell off when I removed a frame and it had a small amount of Capped and uncapped Ivy Honey in it. Already granulating.

I had a taste, Yuck. definately not to my liking :puke:

The taste improves with age.
Last year I took off a super after the ivy flow with the intention of using it in the Spring. It had set like concrete so I scraped back to the foundation and melted out the honey. It tasted much less "medicinal" than the bits of brace comb I've eaten straight from the hive.

Maybe I just have a wierd palate :smilielol5:

Mine have been bringing in ivy for a while - but my hive doesn't smell. Or have I got an odd nose that can't smell it?

My hives pong of it!
Not too bad a taste, but definitely quite pungent and definitely 'a little goes a long way!' lol

Edit - The CBKA were selling it on their stall at this years Callington (Cornish) honey fayre.

Latest posts

Back