Ivy Flow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What is everyone's opinion of bees foraging on ivy. I have had 2 opinions today from members of my association. One saying that you dont want to keep frames full of ivy as the bees cannot use it once it has crystalised, another one saying that it is a good source of winter food for them. Am very confused.

One is expressing an old line of thought and one is being sensible.

Bees can manage granulated stores, admittedly by not using all of it as they discard the hard bits but manage they do. Odd that.........really. Given the length of time they have been surviving on this and that type of honey.

Some just parrot, they don't think.

PH

It's natures gift to get the bees through winter and I've never seen a colony "blocked" with it.... just more people that don't know what they are talking about...

...perhaps they should write a book or a blog.

Chris

Bees are all over the ivy around my garden. Walking through the woods today with the dog I noticed there is still lots just about to bloom!
Up until a week ago my colony's were still coming back with white heads from HB!

I think the only time granulated ivy honey is likely to be a problem is when spring brooding starts and the usage rate goes up. Think about it - how much per day are they needing to assimilate in the colder months?

And aside from the crystallised stores, the pollen is extremely useful for raising brood early the following year.

The only problem that I can envisage is if the bees are unable to access water to reconstitute the stores in a time of need.
Starvation is not the only way bees die in winter, dehydration is another thing to think about while we obsess about the damp in hives being bad for bees.

Went to see mine today, two weeks ago they were low on stores. It's packed now and very active. The hive is next to a railway line and there is lots of ivy hope they like it because it looks like they'll be living on it a while. :)

two weeks ago they were low on stores

- I suggest you should have fed syrup

Last year the apiary stank of ivy .....phew!
This spring there was little evidence of any remaining.
I put an entrance feeder with just water in it into the one I suspected to be very full of ivy.

That wonderful smell of pollen going into the hives all pervading the apiary as I approached today. Sat and watched as almost every bee returning had a full load of yellow pollen. Mine have never suffered any problems consuming the stores they put in at this time of the year. Listen but don't accept all that is said.
Peter

I fed syrup for three weeks and they still have room for some Ivy. I think a mix is better than one single food source, that way if there is a very cold snap at least they can use one of the food sources.

Thanks everyone. My mind has been put to rest.
When you think logically about it the bees wouldnt be storing if it they couldnt use it.

Since bees are able to take in, dry and store ivy nectar at this time it must still be ok to be feeding syrup too, even though it is "late" to be feeding according to some opinion? Mine are still taking down the syrup ok, and working the ivy should continue here in Worcestershire for another week or so. Any thoughts?

Andy, if needed I keep feeding Syrup until they decide it's too late and stop taking it down.

Any thoughts?

Yes, clearly they can, but the ivy nectar may well be much warmer than sugar syrup (after it has cooled down due to a couple of cold frosty nights). They may or may not get out foraging and may get mainly pollen. Small amounts of nectar converted to honey is better than lots of uncapped sugar syrup, fermenting later (if not thymolised), should they be forced into a cluster at short notice. You did ask the question. Some thoughts for discussion?

Latest posts

Back