ivy bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeatshellards

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
5 plus more when they come along
does anyone know how far this bee has moved since being discovered in 2001,I know it feeds on ivy but does it compete with honey bees , I know it is a solitary species but my bees feed on ivy and I dont want any competition!!

lol there is plenty of ivy to go around.

I have seen them here (Somerset). They look like honeybees, but have a more ginger fur and light bands right to the end of the body.

Just spotted the Ivy starting to flower on my way to work today.

Perhaps an early patch or it is going to be early like most things this year.

I first noticed them down this way about 2 years ago - they don't cause any problems for the honeybees with regard to forage competition on the ivy - as already said, there's loads to go round.... \they reside in the local sandunes but I only notice them when the ivy flowers - just have to hope the gallumping visitors don't trash their fragile colonies.

Colletes hederae

Colletes-hederae.jpg

Source.http://aramel.free.fr/INSECTES18ter-1'.shtml

Of course there are a number of other solitary bees, wasps, butterflies and other insects that use ivy.

Chris

thanks for the information and the photos .I have never seen one or knew much about it, glad to know they dont compete with the bees or harm them

Latest posts

Back