Ivey .. how long?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have seen one or two make comment on how long it will be before thei Ivey flowers, I have a wood full of the stuff close by , so wondered if any body could time flowering from this photo

Attachments

• C07C8AA6-B70D-4F6F-884B-486A7B987775.jpeg
    C07C8AA6-B70D-4F6F-884B-486A7B987775.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • 38ED0D6F-3D47-4A08-AF84-64B736ABE86D.jpeg
    38ED0D6F-3D47-4A08-AF84-64B736ABE86D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
Flowering in village garden apiary, very busy yesterday with A.m, wasps, the odd hornet and lots of hoverflies. Only started to flower in the last week though.

Last edited:
I have seen one or two make comment on how long it will be before thei Ivey flowers, I have a wood full of the stuff close by , so wondered if any body could time flowering from this photo
A month? Six weeks?
Quite behind mine which is maybe a week or two

Probably a couple of weeks, judging by the Ivy in Fermanagh. However, there may be ivy with open flowers in other locations with a better microclimate that your bees could access

Before beekeeping , I had never taken much notice of Ivey except for knowing that when wood pigeon poo went purple they were on the berries. And a pie was in the offering hope the weather stays good

I had never taken much notice of Ivey except for knowing that when wood pigeon poo went purple they were on the berries. And a pie was in the offering hope the weather stays good
woodpigeon that have been on the ivy taste horribly bitter - if their poo was purple they would probably be on the winberries and taste awesome.

Pigeon in my exp tastes great whatever it eats.
Sadly no wimberrys in the places I have lived.
But you are correct I wouldn’t recommend Leaving the crop in when cookin if on Ivey😜

Maybe I should pop a few pigeons off for the Mrs. to gut etc,etc, but quite happy at the mo with the freebie ducks and pheasants we get.

Probably a couple of weeks, judging by the Ivy in Fermanagh. However, there may be ivy with open flowers in other locations with a better microclimate that your bees could access

Just coming out in Co Tyrone. Wasps are loving it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_150447.jpg
    IMG_20210912_150447.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
Three letters not four. No 'e'

Latest posts

Back