I've got Hives! Well put some ointment on then....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already had a total of around fifteen hives, various parts and some nucleus boxes. Most parts were either pine or cedar. All of it was a bit tatty and over the years had got worn and warped.
I decided that the new project would be built 'from the ground up,' so I started to think about hives. I decided that whatever type I bought, that I would go for polystyrene. Having lost a few colonies over the years to inclement weather, I could see the advantages of instant insulation. I know that there are pluses and minuses, regarding poly hives, but I decided they were going to work for me.
As I think I have already said, I toyed with the idea of using Langstroths or even Dadant. The problem is the location of my new apiary which is in the middle of nowhere, in a wood. I may also be moving colonies around at certain times in the future. I decided that I would stick to lighter and more compact Nationals for the moment. I may try Langstroths out in the future.
The next problem was which make of hives to actually get.

Latest posts

Back