It's true?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dro

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I want help from the Forum.From some time I did read that in round hive chalkbrood it is not a problem.This is true?

Sorry I cant see how a round hive, top bar, warre or any other type of hive would make any difference to a colony fending off chalkbrood be honest. Best defence is a strong colony and if the problem persists shock swarm and replace the queen.

In normal case chalkbrood is in spring and in early summer and when weather became better it goes away. But it returns next spring.

It has nothing to do with round hive. What is round hive?

There is a round Warre hive I believe. Log hives (horizontal and vertical), clay tube hives, steel drum hives...but how could shape be an issue here?

Now if OP meant say "ventilation a-round the hive..." would there be a discussion?

"Some modern publications say the bees don't suffer chalk brood disease in the round hives." This is why I'm asking.

I think the problem with respect is that no-one who has viewed this thread so far has experience of round hives. Do you have a photo of the sort you mean?

Chalkbrood is probably a stress disease, the spores are likely to be in every hive but managed by a healthy colony so we don't see the evidence. It is most seen in wet Springs and increased ventilation is helpful. Apart from that I'm afraid I don't know much as haven't seen it in my colonies (yet).

Latest posts

Back