It's that time of year again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll send you a pic of my apple and blackberry jam later, when I get back from meeting.

Apple pressing...........picked the first lot this morning

Hi Frisbee, I've seen this type of press advertised as a honey press, would it work (with the comb in some kind of bag) do you think?

Mike.

Hi Frisbee, I've seen this type of press advertised as a honey press, would it work (with the comb in some kind of bag) do you think?

Mike.

Hmmm. I don't think it would be very successful (cue - lots of beeks telling me how wrong I am!!!) This press works brilliantly with apples and pears, which is what it's marketed at, I've also pressed grapes in it in a bag and strawberries, the gloopier the juice the less successful it is, so the strawberry was okay, not brilliant, but you can get heavy duty pressing cloths which would allow you to put more pressure on, I used in both cases a pillowcase, there comes a time when the pressure on the pulp will tear the fabric, you won't get that with the right cloth, so maybe honey with cloths as you say.

Why would you press honey rather than spin it? This is a general question....I haven't thought of it before. Was it maybe an option in the past because a press is relatively easy to make, and the idea is occasionally revived?
Or is it a mystical heather honey secret? :)

Frisbee

Frisbee that picture is making my mouth water :drool5:

I may be wrong but that press looks like the type that Ascot supplies sell.

Well worth everyone getting a catalogue for a winter browse.
We will all be making our own butter and cheese in no time.

It's a Vigo, buy direct from Vigo, I got this one with the mill off ebay.

??? You don't need a press for butter, and a cheese press is different and much smaller unless you have access to gallons of milk, maybe you were thinking of cider and perry but had to drag your mind away from alcohol :rofl: :cheers2:

Frisbee

Yes you do for cheese Frisbee,all to be found in the Ascot catalogue.

Regards Butter have you never made your own before ?

Yes, I've made butter and cheese, you wouldn't want a wooden press for cheese.....think of the cross contamination, wood is absorbent, you'd never get the smell out, old cheese presses used to be metal, modern ones are plastic.

Frisbee

My point was,Ascot do some good smallholder kit and members should get hold of a catalogue..

Ahhhh...............clear as mud :)

I have seen the Ascot catalogue - all be it a long time ago, it's a bit like a beekeeping one though isn't it? Lots of good ideas, many of which you can manage without - I'm going now....sorry...

Frisbee

I've found a lot of the presses for wine and cider are grossly overpriced - you can knock them up pretty quickly with stuff thats lying around]

Ahhhh...............clear as mud :)

I have seen the Ascot catalogue - all be it a long time ago, it's a bit like a beekeeping one though isn't it? Lots of good ideas, many of which you can manage without - I'm going now....sorry...

Frisbee

AH Frisbee please dont say sorry,It was me that was confusing you.
It was my fault,I should be the one saying sorry xxx

Thats the problem with a forum,sometimes thing come across wrong because you cannot read peoples faces when they are saying something.

Admin.

Why would you press honey rather than spin it? This is a general question....I haven't thought of it before. Was it maybe an option in the past because a press is relatively easy to make, and the idea is occasionally revived?
Or is it a mystical heather honey secret? :)

Frisbee

Some one was asking about how you get the honey from a TBH and a press would be one, if it works!! Thornes sell one and the bags but for about £300.

Mike.

AH Frisbee please dont say sorry,It was me that was confusing you.
It was my fault,I should be the one saying sorry xxx

Thats the problem with a forum,sometimes thing come across wrong because you cannot read peoples faces when they are saying something.

Admin.

Ahhh - no probs :grouphug:

Frisbee

Some one was asking about how you get the honey from a TBH and a press would be one, if it works!! Thornes sell one and the bags but for about £300.

Mike.

Right - yes, I'll go and have a look-see at the Thorne's one, if you've got good cloths then you don't need sides on the press, just a weight on top, car-jack type thing. So you could rig one up yourself (or the person who was asking like Roche said on an earlier post.

Frisbee

As a result of this, i had a look at their website.

How feasible is it to make cheese on a kitchen scale? has anybody done so, and were the results worth the effort?

They have some pretty good stuff in the catalogue

As a result of this, i had a look at their website.

How feasible is it to make cheese on a kitchen scale? has anybody done so, and were the results worth the effort?

They have some pretty good stuff in the catalogue

Depends on the type of cheese you want to make...........soft and semi hard are pretty simple, well they all are really but you do need access to an awful o lot of milk if you want to make a hard cheese. Rennet is not so easy to come by these days, you can get a vegetarian one called vegeren, you need an accurate thermometer, the ability to warm things up via indirect heat, but most things you can find in your kitchen or make do. You can make your own starter using a piece of cheese you want to replicate. There is a website with forum called sausagemaking.org. There's a cheese section in that with an excellent recipe and step by step guide for making Stilton .

Frisbee

Latest posts

Back