Its Never been done before

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikethebee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Yers a bit of news to upset the imported queen objectors.

It took 4 beeks three weeks to organize the Australia /UK gov to provide all the official documentation to Export Import 5 queens from Western Australia and to have declared at Customs FIRST TIME EVER this was a test case for future orders.
The young laying queens were taken from the hive on the 17th@8pm arrived home @10pm in the hive by 10/11am following day about 32 hrs.
Now as I said this is a first off experiment to test the queen?s survival in our winter.

I pre set big clonking hives 3 high 6 weeks before departure with plenty of extra grub on.
I had made up 5 screens cog boards.

All I had to do was lift off the top two boxes, with brood honey comb no queen, remove QE Place the top box comb honey on top of bottom brood an queen box ?do you follow? add the new screen cog mesh board replace the top box of brood and insert new beautiful queen, covered top box with worm insulation, Now to sit back and keep fingers crossed.
Now it was so cold the bees just sat on the combs never moved, NO smoke was used it took no time at all when they wake up they will have a lovely sleeping beauty.

Now it just so happened 1 box had been knocked over every thing had been exposed to the elements snow covered the underside of the brood box every thing wet and cold, But amazingly the bees are still alive I replaced on its stand with the live bees.

This left me 1 box short for me new queen so I removed a frame of bees from 7 other brood boxes mixed them into a new brood box and inserted the new queen,
Placed a screen cog board on top of a large queen right colony. I SHOULD GET REPLYS using this method

(Just for your information WA has no known serious diseases or pest it produces the best honey in the world no chemical additives).
all the best mike

www.easybeeproducts.co.uk

Mike what strain would you say these bee's are ?

What about the problem of them building comb upside down ?:)

Well good luck Mike.

Mind you they have missed most of the winter so next winter will be the real test for them.

My own experience of NZ queens was I have to say a failure as they were utterly idle in cool weather whereas the AMM were working away.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with them in our climate.

PH

Last edited:
If they are anything like NZ queens I would say they will be great for gardens and children,but as good as useless for anything else.

Interesting to here they are tolerent regards disease,maybe its the climate.

The nz bee's I have tended in the uk would go crook if you as much as looked at them.

Hello Mike,
I take it that these queens are from Terry Brown's operation - correct?
How is Ben?
Best regards
Norton.

Hi Norton,

why didn't mike come to you for his queens.:laughing-smiley-014

TC

Norton do you expect to have any queens this spring for the uk if members want to order ?

Hi Norton you is trying to be cleaver and trick me! But you is stupid boy pike and wrong again,
Terry is in SIDNEY his queens are banned as you knows well. They have the SHB read my lips I mean post.
BUT as I understand he is looking to start up queen breeding a little closer ? enabling him to export.
I did go spend a week and see the browns as you can see in photos, talk about working in the heat whooooo
I just happen to mentioned you! Who YOU? We all got theskeletons in the cupboard Mr Roger W But I don?t rattle mine!
The 5 Queens came from a real Western Australian queen breeder taken after 28 days old mated with a laying pattern you would be proud to have.
Suppose you be Emailing me to supply you with sum of the 200 Aus queens in April as you ant got none is you interested .LOL

It?s all in a matter of good taste and post.
All the best mike

Hello,
All I did was ask you a question as I know that Terry exports to the USA and his son Ben has phoned me several times in the past year looking for queens in France! As we had no idea of where you were in OZ it was a valid question.
Do I want Ozzie queens? Thanks but no thanks! I have seen them several times and was not impressed.
Best regards
Norton.

Hi Norton,has the weather improved for you yet,or does this drought still go on.

Last edited:
Hello Hivemaker,
It seems like the drought is over as we have had adequate rain for the time being - but we also need further rain to be really OK. It was supposed to rain last night and today, but we have only had a few spots of wind-blown rain. The system is to the west and we have a dry easterly wind from Syria that is raising the pressure and preventing the rain from reaching us. I've just been to check a graft that I made yesterday - about 95% acceptance of the cells which look very good.
Best regards
Norton.

Hi Norton
pleased to hear you have had some of the much needed rain,hope you get plenty more. we have at last got some drier and milder weather,bee's flying well,good pollen loads comming in.Forcast looks good for at least the next week. When you do your grafting do you dry graft or not?sounds really good for your last sets.

Last edited:
HI YA ROG the saying you stewpid boy pike, comes from DADS ARMY CAPTIN MANNERING. Pike was the mans name a comedy, I ant got time nowadays to sit at telly

YES I KNOWs all about the phone calls with Ben!
As we had no idea of where you were in OZ it was a valid question.
Question who is we?
I have seen them several times and was not impressed.
You ant seen the queens from WA
I could set you up as a supplier of queens? lol and as you have sold out it will take your mind off other rude things you may do, and giving you summut to do, idle hands make a idle mind
All the best mike

DADS ARMY CAPTIN MANNERING
Whew that's a relief - I thought you were swearing at me and was just about to get the next plane to the UK............................
By the way, the name of the character played by Arthur Lowe was Capt. Mainwaring.
Now these bees from WESTERN AUSTRALIA are they Italians or Carniolians? Terry Brown's bees have some Buckfast in them.
Don't worry about being able to supply me - I can import directly here if I want to.
Best regards
Norton.:cheers2:

Hi Norton I be pulling your short leg a bit! Spend some money and buy the ABJ next couple months, Randy Oliver article?
Last week there was a film crew USA filming the operation shaking bees at the Browns bee yards, should be interesting when it?s ready,
I was asked to stay on and be a star unfortunately the money offered was not good enough, and the face-cream they use for make up would upset my skin. So naturally I had to decline. Left my boys working there to plug Easybee products hope it works.
Just a little bit of useless information! Paterson?s curse is an imported plant introduced to Australia in 1887 by Miss Paterson a prison wardens doughter to grow forage to help her imported the native black bees she brought with her from England, both has survived, the plant has spread over Australia and is now a fast spreading weed, a curse.

The queens from Ron Clark WA COPY
Ron Clarks queens are from a Western Australian owned family run business. We are innovative and imaginative Queen-bee producers with a rapidly expanding product supply and worldwide market.
Ron Clark works closely with Agriculture Western Australia,
Austrade and the Australian Government to ensure your order is
filled as quickly and efficiently as possible.
We pride ourselves on our high standards and friendly service. We currently produce high quality Italian Queen-bees from the superior Apis mellifera stock available here in Western Australia.
As honeybee breeders we believe it is our obligation to make sure we
protect and improve the future genetics of our bee stocks.

Owner Ron Clark Queen bees production Queens are 28 day old Apis mellifera (Italian)
stock.
Our breeding stock predominantly comes from the isolated mated station Rottnest Island Queens from the Better Bees breeding program.
We also create our own breeder queens via Artificial Insemination.
Bees imported from W- Australia
Superior Genetics
Gentle Temperament
High Production (honey & pollen)
Queens from this stock have been known to produce up to 200kg of honey per hive in a year.
High Brood Viability
Excellent Hygienic Behaviour Australia has no Africanized genetics.
Diseases and Pests Minimal in WA
We easily meet OIE standards for the import of Queen-bees into most Countries.

Year-round Production
Applications:

Rejuvenate hives affected by supersedure, swarming, pests &
Diseases
Increase colony numbers
Improve hive genetic qualities
Increase hive honey production
Improve hive pollination capability

Latest posts

Back