It's begun...........!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder why they are selling it?...and surely it cant be sold "as new" if its now sitting in the garden???....wonder what it will go for?....soooo many questions...I'm curious now :D

I know you are not saying there is anything wrong with the Beehaus White park Cattle:D

Last edited:
What an odd looking thing?

Why hasnt anyone developed a plastic standard type hive, such as a commercial or one of the other types?

Yes it is an odd looking thing and as we are in this country we dont have a standard hive

You know what i mean though, instead of wooden hives, i would have thought someone would have come up with a plastic replacement for the various hive types.

They would last ages, easy to clean, any colour you like etc.

I know you are not saying there is anything wrong with the Beehaus White park Cattle:D

I have nothing against the Beehaus per se........I do however, have something against portraying a full colony of bees as something cute and cuddly that can be kept in any old back garden by the 'knit your own yoghurt brigade' in the suburbs without fear of menace towards one's neighbours, pets and innocent small children!

Highly irresponsible if you ask me.

You know what i mean though, instead of wooden hives, i would have thought someone would have come up with a plastic replacement for the various hive types.

They would last ages, easy to clean, any colour you like etc.

Is a poly hive not good enough....or are you referring to moulded plastic merylvingien?

I think you perhaps answered your question in your first post " What an odd looking thing" and I think that is the answer. I am of course blinkered and unashamedly biased so my opinion stands for nothing

I was refering to moulded plastic, the indestructable stuff!

I cant see how polystyrene would stand up to much, but i havent seen one so i dont know! And i dont want to offend hardened poly users LOL

I was refering to moulded plastic, the indestructable stuff!

I cant see how polystyrene would stand up to much, but i havent seen one so i dont know! And i dont want to offend hardened poly users LOL

ssssssshhhh.......Poly Hive might be reading!!!!

i dont want to offend hardened poly users LOL

Yes they are hardened and quite robust. :D

merylvingien,

It is just a plastic Dartington. Same down-sides and likely a few more, maybe a few up-sides, but not really found any yet! But I still like my Dartingtons - they have a niche in amongst the other hives.

There are plastic hives, apart from the huge number of polyhives in use around the globe.

Like the Anivet (definitely non-standard!) and the Apimaye (very much a 'standard' hive type!).

Tom,

Personally I think the classic WBC looks far better than a National (or perhaps you were only referring to the materials of construction?), but I have succumbed to efficiency over aesthetics (but still have the kit to refurbish one, if so inclined). And winter insulation on a National can quite easily be made equivalent, or superior, to a WBC, so that is a non-starter for argument from other quarters, as well. They are all different, that is all; still all house bees; all have pros and cons!

Regards, RAB

merylvingien,

It is just a plastic Dartington. Same down-sides and likely a few more, maybe a few up-sides, but not really found any yet! But I still like my Dartingtons - they have a niche in amongst the other hives.

There are plastic hives, apart from the huge number of polyhives in use around the globe.

Like the Anivet (definitely non-standard!) and the Apimaye (very much a 'standard' hive type!).

Tom,

Personally I think the classic WBC looks far better than a National (or perhaps you were only referring to the materials of construction?), but I have succumbed to efficiency over aesthetics (but still have the kit to refurbish one, if so inclined). And winter insulation on a National can quite easily be made equivalent, or superior, to a WBC, so that is a non-starter for argument from other quarters, as well. They are all different, that is all; still all house bees; all have pros and cons!

Regards, RAB

Agree with you there RAB.

My original post was a little tongue-in-cheek...........long have posters on here awaited the day when the 'unwanted Beehaus' (and 'a n other' hive as a matter of fact) came on to the market because potential beeks rushed in to buying the kit and then decided that it wasn't for them!

This is not just a Beehaus problem - as we all know a Beehaus is simply a box to put your bees in. I think we are in a beekeeping "bubble" - and I'm just as much part of it as any other person who has taken it up in the last year or so. Loads of people are taking up the hobby, some will stick with it (I certainly intend to) , others will find that it takes more time, management, space and money than they ever expected. Many more will have listened to the media and will will putting bees in small gardens, and will be all surprised when something goes wrong - which may be as simple as falling out with the neighbours when the bees decide to use the wrong location as a source of drinking water.

We're seeing £290 nucs (you'll probably see a £350 nuc before the year is out), if you want anything from Thornes, they seem to have very little stock, and apparently the factory is running flat out. Honey prices will probably fall, so fill your boots selling nucs while you can....

Apparently they are selling after realising they are going to be away too much of the time this year and next.
Maybe it would have been wiser to check out what the craft entails before parting with cash? ;)

I dont think that honey prices are going to drop, may even go up!!!....all these people that dont know what they are taking on, will watch swarms dissappearing with any surplus quicker than they can feed them.
And they will end up buying proper honey just so they have some to take round to friends and to dinner parties, as omlet keep telling them it will be so cool to do. :eek:

merylvingien,

Tom,

Regards, RAB

Hi Rab

Just the material in the construction I think is wrong but then as a chap that plays with wood most of the time will think that way.

This is not just a Beehaus problem - as we all know a Beehaus is simply a box to put your bees in. I think we are in a beekeeping "bubble" - and I'm just as much part of it as any other person who has taken it up in the last year or so. Loads of people are taking up the hobby, some will stick with it (I certainly intend to) , others will find that it takes more time, management, space and money than they ever expected. Many more will have listened to the media and will will putting bees in small gardens, and will be all surprised when something goes wrong - which may be as simple as falling out with the neighbours when the bees decide to use the wrong location as a source of drinking water.

We're seeing £290 nucs (you'll probably see a £350 nuc before the year is out), if you want anything from Thornes, they seem to have very little stock, and apparently the factory is running flat out. Honey prices will probably fall, so fill your boots selling nucs while you can....

Not in Surrey apparently - no one interested in my nuc......:toetap05:

merylvingien,

Just for info. there is poly and poly same as there is hard wood as soft a balsa and tough as nails, think teak.

Hives are made, the good ones at least, from very tough poly, I have dropped one at 40 mph and all was well.

At my night classes I used to jump up and down on one to show just how robust they are.

The UK is a very very odd place when it comes to hives, types of that is.

PH

merylvingien,

Just for info. there is poly and poly same as there is hard wood as soft a balsa and tough as nails, think teak.

Hives are made, the good ones at least, from very tough poly, I have dropped one at 40 mph and all was well.

At my night classes I used to jump up and down on one to show just how robust they are.

The UK is a very very odd place when it comes to hives, types of that is.

PH

Interesting!!! No doubt i will come across one, or investigate further at some point. I can see how insulation properties would far exceed wood.

Latest posts

Back