it's all for charidee mate!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
this is a shameless thread asking for sponsorship. :bigear:

on Saturday 19th, I and a few others are taking part in a motorcycle endurance ride organised by the Royal British Legion Riders branch, all moneys will be going to the Poppy Appeal. the offical web page is http://rblr1000.co.uk/

we will be attempting to cover 1000 miles in 24 hours, anyone that has ridden a motorbike will know that comfort wise, 100 miles is ok, 200 gets a bit uncomfortable, 300 starts to get a bit painful and its all downhill from there, I'm expecting for it take about 20 hours, thats a long time in the saddle :leaving:

the route we are taking is around scotland which should be loverly, unless its raining and then it'll be hell

rblr1000.jpg

if you would like to sponsor me I'd be very grateful, even £1 and a (virtual) peck on the cheek will be appreciated, (please shave first though..... ladies included :sifone:)

you can do so at http://www.justgiving.com/taff1000

thanks for reading

Taff

Good luck Mate.
I did nearly 400 miles in a day on my bike last year in France and that was plenty for me.

Darren.

Good luck Mate.
I did nearly 400 miles in a day on my bike last year in France and that was plenty for me.

Darren.

Thanks Darren, and to those that have sent me messages.

I've done a little warm up today, just 250 miles. :D

My butt is going to be in tatters by sunday afternoon. :(

How did you get on Taff ?

You didn`t have to ride to Liverpool from Somerset before you started did you ?

Darren.

Hia Darren, I meant to post an update yesterday but forgot, I must be getting old :(

the weekend started on thursday morning when I rode from Yeovil to my office in Bristol, then up to Cambridge (where my boss works) after work, after a couple of hours with my boss friday morning I met up with my oppo who was doing the ride with me and we trundled on up to Leeds.

we had a briefing Friday night and then off to bed for a couple of hours, well we would have, but our rooms were directly above the bar where there was a staff party going on so we gate crashed, had a couple of free drinks and produced a couple of sponsorship forms :D

04:00 we got up and made our way to the start in Leeds, 05:30 the flag dropped and 400ish bikes left for a 1000 mile trip. we headed north, we were supposed to go west of Glasgow but ended up in Stirling :confused: bugger, quick recalc of the satnav and we landed up on minor country lanes following a flock of sheep which hurt our average speed quite a lot :svengo:

back on route we went up the A82 past Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Fort william to Inverness, the weather was stunning and the views awesome. going north from Inverness to Wick the weather changed, the wind picked up, cloud covered over and the temps went right down so we turned round pretty quick and headedd south again.

from Inverness it was a straight run south to aviemore, Edinburgh, Barrow and back to Leeds.

as we crossed the finish line at 02:25 there was loads of people there to greet us in cheering, taking photo's of everyone of us before we could even get our lids off and sorting the paperwork for the 'Iron Butt Association, UK' acreditation, SS1000 (SaddleSore 1000).

it took us 21 hours, we, along with just about everyone else that came in under-estimated how cold we'd get so thats a lesson learnt. We took our time and had decent stops, if we had pushed harder we know we could have knocked 2 hours off easily, most of that from our 80ish mile detour.

on sunday I did another 6 hours getting lost going from Leeds back to Yeovil :ack2:

IF I do it again next year I have a plan to do the SaddleSore 1500 Gold, thats 1500 miles in 24 hours which will include the sponsored 1000, but I'll include the milage from home to the start and back again but that will be much tougher as the breaks need to be short to keep average speed above 62.5MPH, we'll see :D

in total so far I have raised in the region of £350 which I am over the moon with. :)

Well done m8.

1000 miles on a bike takes some doing, i don`t think i could do it.

I hope you didn`t do it on a Goldwing though because as everyone knows that`s not a proper motorbike & a 1000 miles with a heater and a radio doesn`t count :)

Darren.

Last edited:
Darren,

You mean a mobile arm chair with all those extras!?

I would not want to do it ever, now, but even in the old days certainly not with clip-ons, rear-sets and a 360 degree twin!

Regards, RAB

guess which one I did it on...

IMG_5644.jpg

it aint the one with clip ons, rear set and 90deg V twin, or the 60 deg V twin you can just make out behind the RGV :D

Latest posts

Back