• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Italian Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not selling, but know someone who is!

Got them last month.

Come down to Cornwall and you can get them for free as no one wants them

The noted beekeeper, Thomas White Woodbury, first introduced the Italian bee to Britain in 1854 and regarded it as vastly superior to the English Black.
:bump:

Probably need to insulate in a hard winter up "T" North.

The noted beekeeper, Thomas White Woodbury, first introduced the Italian bee to Britain in 1854 and regarded it as vastly superior to the English Black.
:bump:

Probably need to insulate in a hard winter up "T" North.

And wealthy English hobby beekeepers have been disregarding the Native "Black" bee ever since!

Chons da

And wealthy English hobby beekeepers have been disregarding the Native "Black" bee ever since!

So are black bees better regarded by the impoverished amateur or Nutty Farmers?

Ahhhh the wealthy get the blame.... must be tough walking in circles with all that weight on one shoulder:icon_204-2:

So you think the poor bought in all the imports? LOL, probably think varroa swam here as well :rolleyes:

One thing is sure, no bee has been imported in greater numbers to the UK than Amm.

Now, let’s not get into a black bee or orange bee bashing session please.

Think that started around the 2nd or 3rd post???? :calmdown:

With the latest figures on climate change we should be considering all the options for the future.
We have reviewed the planting in our garden, choosing to plant for more shade around the pond, (leats now run from the greenhouse & shed to top up the pond). Other planting has been adopted for plants that tolerate more arid conditions.

Better insulation on the planned extension (with greater thermal store on the inside).

My thoughts were to review the bees I keep in a similar manner.

Last edited:
Nothing I've heard suggests "More arid' conditions. Higher total rainfall in all seasons is expected.

Nothing I've heard suggests "More arid' conditions. Higher total rainfall in all seasons is expected.

Some 10-15 years ago, the official (as in BBC/other gardening progs and magazines) advice was to plant drought resistant plants..

Now it's to plant water resistant ones..

I ignore both.

It is very dry here compared to normal. Less than 7 inches of rain here for all of this year so far ...and last year was dry too. I don't know much about different types of bees and how much winter food they need, but I'm hoping mine are frugal enough to survive the dry with the food they have.

It brought on enormous bushfires earlier in the year and the photo attached shows a potential hive site I've just looked at. Little bit of green coming back.

Has the UK been generally wetter than normal? I've heard a bit on the forum about rain and am jealous.

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_105232051.jpg
    IMG_20190721_105232051.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 18
Wonder why :D

Simply because it was what was available from our nearest neighbours when most of ours died.
Begs the question of why they represent such a tiny minority of bees imported today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back