Italian Buckfast Vs Carniolan?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.... thanks....doesn't the candy prevent immediate access to the queen? It sounds from what Jenkins says, in post #31, that it is somehow over the candy?
This is a typical queen introduction cage. It has two compartments that connect with each other for free passage of bees. The smaller one is filled with candy and has a removable clip off "door" to the outside. It's this that allows the bees in the hive to eat the candy and release the bees, including the queen.
Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 07.37.32.png

Ok.... thanks....doesn't the candy prevent immediate access to the queen? It sounds from what Jenkins says, in post #31, that it is somehow over the candy?
yes, if you look at the first image there is a smaller chanber to the right (with no mesh) which should be filled with candy, you can just about see the tab in the photograph, when you are ready to let the bees release the queen you snap off the tab to allow bees access
fb.jpgfb2.jpg

There are other cages like the JZBZ cage which has a tube for the candy which you can either cover with a plastic cap or a piece of insulation tape

fb3.jpg

Does anyone know if it's possible to introduce an Italian Buckfast Queen into an existing Carnolian colony?
I've recently lost my Carnolian Queen and have purchased an Italian Buckfast Queen to replace her.
I've done what I was advised to do in leaving the plastic lug in place for two days and then removed it.
Just checked on the bees today (which is 10 days later) and it would seem that the colony has killed the new queen.
Can anyone advise please?
Make sure that there is no queen cells anywhere on any frames, they will still kill a introduced queen if there is any queen cells.

I see. Thanks guys.

I've remember I got a plastic one years ago, but never used it.
We tend to use the wooden ones here with metal mesh, and there is no cover over the candy. One of the three circles in the cage is more or less filled with candy and the bees in the hive can access the candy immediately from the hole in the end, with the queen and attendants working at it from the other side. Thin plastic covers the candy from the side, but it is under the mesh. Surely given that such covering of the candy (as in the plastic cage), is not done routinely here, it is not necessary at all?

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_201337491.jpg
    IMG_20210527_201337491.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210527_201359844.jpg
    IMG_20210527_201359844.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
I see. Thanks guys.

I've remember I got a plastic one years ago, but never used it.
We tend to use the wooden ones here with metal mesh, and there is no cover over the candy. One of the three circles in the cage is more or less filled with candy and the bees in the hive can access the candy immediately from the hole in the end, with the queen and attendants working at it from the other side. Thin plastic covers the candy from the side, but it is under the mesh. Surely given that such covering of the candy (as in the plastic cage), is not done routinely here, it is not necessary at all?
with those ones you can cover the candy with a little wooden/cork plug

Latest posts

Back