It’s started

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
First graft of the season done this eve and it’s cold tonight! I’ll post the pic of results in a couple of days. These guys may just be ready in time!

Attachments

• 13745A15-67E1-4F7F-995F-CFDAEA407E44.jpeg
    13745A15-67E1-4F7F-995F-CFDAEA407E44.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
I'm waiting another couple of weeks and then having my second go after 4 nice queens from my 1 go last year

short on bees, minimal drones: June looms

I am not going to graft until mid-June this year and will bank on demaree queens until then. I plan to assess all hives next week and put drone foundation in the ones I will select based on last year's performance and how they overwintered.

I’d looked at the forecast and the week in front had been looking ok and warmer nights. Not so good atm🥵I’m not hopeful that results will be good with the take on the grafts...

I’d looked at the forecast and the week in front had been looking ok and warmer nights. Not so good atm🥵I’m not hopeful that results will be good with the take on the grafts...
I just did the same Ian, I was going to start at the weekend but the forecast is wet and cold for the next 10day!!!! 😫

W
I just did the same Ian, I was going to start at the weekend but the forecast is wet and cold for the next 10day!!!! 😫
When I went in and broke down the emergency cells they had started there weren’t many so had my suspicions. Still we’ll see tomorrow when I take a peak.

I planned to do my first grafts this year today, three weeks later than last year. I made my cell starter queenless nine days ago and added frames of sealed brood to fill the box and put a feed on.. I put an empty frame with darkish comb in my breeder colony four days ago. I went to them this afternoon (weather dry but very windy) to check there were no EQCs and to add pollen and honey ready for the grafts. Starter colony is boiling with young bees, but I struggled to find any pollen more than a few cells in any of my garden hives. However, it looks like my breeder queen hesitated for a couple of days before laying up the frame I gave her - only eggs present. So grafting is postponed for a day or two - I'll need to check my out apiary hives to see if any have a frame of pollen I can nick.

Latest posts

Back