Istrumental insemination, etc.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I need to get saline solution, is there a easy option on buying or making it? I ended up far too busy this year with general beekeeping to get on with AI . All I need is saline to get me started though.

I didn't know I could you that, I can get that local to me too, many thanks B+

I need to get saline solution, is there a easy option on buying or making it? I ended up far too busy this year with general beekeeping to get on with AI . All I need is saline to get me started though.

I just make it up myself using purified water, pure salt... and check the pH.

I actually make purified water , how much salt and what pH ? Ratio would be good please.

And sterilize it.....your kitchen pressure cooker will do the job.

Last edited:
Saves a lot of faffing about.... with micro balances, double distillation equipment, autoclaves and PH buffers, not forgetting 0.02micron filters ( which cost as much as these sachets!!).... I think the hydrogen ion concentration of the eyewash will be OK for II!!!

Unless you enjoy the journey of DIY.

Yeghes da

That was my thoughts too.
The correct solution has antibiotics, etc in too. It doesn't keep for very long once opened, so, you'd really have to make it up fresh each time. That's an awful lot of lab work and, even though my wife trained in medicinal chemistry, she tells me that she couldn't make up the recipe in the relatively small quantities to the accuracy (this can only be achieved when producing huge quantities in a factory) with the regularity that I'd want. A similar recipe is in Safecell + (https://www.imv-technologies.com/our-solutions/swine/detail/product/safecell-.html) , but, you still have the problem of correct disposal of the unused portion of vetinary products.
Much easier to use the pods and stay away from the antibiotics, wherever possible.
Incidentally, I still filter enough saline for each session just to be safe

Last edited:
I don't have a filter, should I ? Where do you get filter from please. Reading all that I think I'll buy those pods :)

I actually make purified water , how much salt and what pH ? Ratio would be good please.

I just make up the basic saline (no antibiotic) adjust the pH, then sterilize in pressure cooker in small bottles, which are okay to autoclave...it is then passed though a microbial filter before use.

Below are some of the various mixes.

Simple Saline Solution- 100 ml.
100 ml. distilled water
1.0 g. sodium chloride
0.25 g. dihydrostreptomycin

Tris-Buffer Diluent- 100 ml.

100 ml. distilled water
1.11 g. sodium chloride
0.10 g. glucose
0.01 g. L - lysine
0.01 g. L - arginine
0.01 g. L - glutamic acid
0.329 g. Trizma HCL
0.329 g. Trizma base
0.25 g dihydrostreptomycin

Note:
You can also use this antibiotic instead of dihydrostreptomycin

Gentomycin sulfate, cell culture tested ( 250 micrograms per mill. )

Gentamycin 0.462g in 10ml sterile distilled water

Add the antibiotic solution to 1 Liter buffer just before use.

The antibiotic in only viable for about 5 antibiotic days in solution

Water Source
The water source used to make up solutions is important. Use double distilled water. When mixing or storing semen it is best to use HPLC (high pressure liquid chromotography) water.

Ph
The pH should be adjusted to 8.6-8.9. If the pH is too high use dilute HCL to adjust. If the pH is too low use NaOH to adjust.

To Sterilize
Bacteriological filtering is recommended. Use filter with a pore size of 0.2 um. Solutions can also be sterilized by heating to 250 F for 30 minutes. Note that heating will denature the antibiotic, add this after the solution has cooled.

Sterlisation Autoclave at 121ºC (131ºC max) at 1 bar (15 psi) for 20 minutes....
or buy these... ebay item number 121170555547 that have been Gamma irradiated

0r these if you do not mind waiting for a month or so for China Posty!!
eBay item number:

Irratum from a previous post....0.2 micron filters ... NOT 0.02!!
Mytten da

Last edited:
check the expiry dates on those items icanhopit

Indeed... I did notice that... ordered some of eBay item number:
112087376549.... expiry 2018-06... should arrive ( and be used!) before then! ( and half of the price of the ones with the 2016 expiry date.

How long would a Gamma irradiated product be sterile for.. if packaging secure?

Yeghes da

Indeed... I did notice that... ordered some of eBay item number:
112087376549.... expiry 2018-06... should arrive ( and be used!) before then! ( and half of the price of the ones with the 2016 expiry date.

How long would a Gamma irradiated product be sterile for.. if packaging secure?

Yeghes da

The filters I buy from SLS usually have a couple of years before expiry

Thanks for the info everyone. Do these filters fit certain type of syringe ? Hivemaker where do you get the dihydrostreptomycin from?

I do apologize,I some how read pass that bit lol

Latest posts

Back