Is this the future of beekeeping ? discuss

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious to see some data from it and how it actually works. Bit confused by the claim that humidity within hives is a 'thing of the past'... Thought that would be the opposite of what you'd want.

Did you notice that it costs ?only? $400 per month for 24 hives?

It reminds me of a comment I heard some time ago, about some of the very sophisticated metal detectors ("gold detectors") which can now be purchased - the only people making any money through metal detectors are the people who sell them!

I just thought it interesting that someone would invest such a lot of money to develop a system like that. I doubt it was done on a whim.

Beekeeping isn't something you could industrialise like that, far too many variables that can't be predicted with accuracy.

Last edited:
So they raised $16 million basically on the premise that honey bees are in danger, beekeepers are inept and by inference lazy .... and they have signed up tens of thousands of bee colonies in the USA prior to even launching (or it would seem - developing) the product. $2m in a grant from the EU !

Several things spring to mind:

1. Why didn't I think of it ?... Nice little earner !
2. How did they get away with it ?
3. Institutional finance organisations must lack due diligence if they are prepared to put this money up !
4. There's one born every minute ....

Last edited:
Bit like Llamas
?? tell me more . There is a Alpaca "farm" near me . There seems to be no end of people willing to pay to walk an alpaca round and round a small field. There are regularly 30+ cars parked nose to tail on the narrow lane - farmers struggle to get their vehicles past.

?? tell me more . There is a Alpaca "farm" near me . There seems to be no end of people willing to pay to walk an alpaca round and round a small field. There are regularly 30+ cars parked nose to tail on the narrow lane - farmers struggle to get their vehicles past.

Diversification. The people who actually farm animals for meat/eggs/milk/wool/fibre tend to have to resort to it because whilst people generally won't pay more for high welfare food there are plenty with more money than sense who will eagerly fall over themselves to pay for an experience which historically they'd be paid for or could have done for free. Hats off to the alpaca 'farm', wish I'd thought of getting the public to pay to help me round up the sheep last night. :ROFLMAO:

If your a comercial beekeeper with 1000+ hives why would you pay £400 per month for the upkeep of 24 hives when you can pay someone to look after hundreds of hives? I wouldnt think comercial beekeepers are in the business of throwing money away. Or maybe I didn't read it properly but I saw £400 per month and saw enough

I would imagine it won't work on honey that sets in the comb.

Llamas? I meant alpacas
I always thought of alpacas as a sort of pyramid scheme but yes you’re right there is this walking phenomenon. There was a start up near me but I think they have given up.

The tech will work, either now or in the future - just look at automated milking parlours. But for me, this is so boring. I have started bee keeping to have bees and interact with them, not just to exploit them.

Ian

Llamas? I meant alpacas
I always thought of alpacas as a sort of pyramid scheme but yes you’re right there is this walking phenomenon. There was a start up near me but I think they have given up.
The nearby alpaca "farm" has caused a lot of dialogue in the village - congestion on the road and a planning application for a 3 bedroom house on the pretext that a seasonal worker is needed during birthing.
As an aside. In case you cant tell them apart. Remember "llama Banana". Llamas have ears curving to the middle , alpacas have straight ears.llama.jpgalpaca.jpg

Last edited:
The nearby alpaca "farm" has caused a lot of dialogue in the village - congestion on the road and a planning application for a 3 bedroom house on the pretext that a seasonal worker is needed during birthing.
As an aside. In case you cant tell them apart. Remember "llama Banana". Llamas have ears curving to the middle , alpacas have straight ears.View attachment 27943View attachment 27944
Both will spit and can carry TB.

Sounds like your neighbours know how to play the system a bit too well.

The tech will work, either now or in the future - just look at automated milking parlours. But for me, this is so boring. I have started bee keeping to have bees and interact with them, not just to exploit them.

Ian

Milk/cows is very different to honey/bees. Agree it's probably do able but wouldn't use automated milking as an example. Also agree something lost in automation with bees.

Milk/cows is very different to honey/bees. Agree it's probably do able but wouldn't use automated milking as an example.
My point is just technology will get there. I could choose any myriad of inventions to highlight how technology has "improved" life. Just an example. It may well kill us all in the end anyway:eek::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back