Is this swarm trying to swarm again?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Tel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Collected a swarm on Saturday which was rehomed in a nuc box. As I was conscious about crushing bees I left two frames out. Sunday was a washout so never saw many bees and didn't want to mess with them. Yesterday more activity so decided to open them up and add the two remaining frames to make up the full complement. Within about 5 mins of doing this there was masses of activity outside of the hive with what looked like the early stages of swarming. Decided to put the hose on with a fine mist to fool them into changing their minds. After a couple of mins decided to stop and let nature take its course. In short thousands of bees in and out but never venturing more than a couple of feet of the hive and this continued till late evening when they decided to go in. So in short was this a practice run for a swarm (today!*?) or was the queen out on a mating flight. I'm just perplexed as in my experience when I've had a colony swarm it starts and finishes in a few minutes! Final note decided this morning to put a queen excluder over the entrance hole and hope that the queen isn't thin enough to make it through. Sods law she's a virgin and I've now prevented her from going on a mating flight. Any advice much appreciated.

Hi Chris,
I always try to get everything done at hiving or indeed at collecting stage in a swarm box. It is not a problem to re-hive them in say 3-5 weeks time. However, they don't like to be disturbed straight away. Under your circumstances, I would keep the QE on for a day or so virgin or not. Best of luck!

thanks for your kind reply Beeno! QX now off havign been on all of yesterday and bees all still there! Fingers crossed

In short thousands of bees in and out but never venturing more than a couple of feet of the hive and this continued till late evening when they decided to go in. So in short was this a practice run for a swarm (today!*?) or was the queen out on a mating flight. I'm just perplexed as in my experience when I've had a colony swarm it starts and finishes in a few minutes!

If they couldn't get out to fly the day after you hived them, this might be something as simple as orientation to their new home.

Latest posts

Back