Is this Microscope OK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hu

i have been offered a microscope for £30 from a local private school and have provisionally said yes, it is a 1970's Russian LOMO , they have several and will be advertising them on ebay, the school can't use them as it been advised sun light could reflect in the mirror and blind the child using it :banghead:

it has objective (90xoil in case), 40x 20x 12.5x and 8X, eyepiece 10x, 15x and is similar to the attached photo but is monocular rather than binocular ,it has macro focus and extra diffused condenser
it has one space in the box missing i assume for another eyepeice ( what magnification would/should i need to get)

do you think it will be ok for Nosema and pollen

Last edited:
Hu

i have been offered a microscope for £30 from a local private school and have provisionally said yes, it is a 1970's Russian LOMO , they have several and will be advertising them on ebay, the school can't use them as it been advised sun light could reflect in the mirror and blind the child using it :banghead:

it has objective (90xoil in case), 40x 20x 12.5x and 8X, eyepiece 10x, 15x and is similar to the attached photo but is monocular rather than binocular ,it has macro focus and extra diffused condenser
it has one space in the box missing i assume for another eyepeice ( what magnification would/should i need to get)

do you think it will be ok for Nosema and pollen
Yes. Both pollen and nosema require X400 or larger magnification obtained with 40x objective and x10 eyepiece.

Check there is no damage to the lenses. Not sure what you mean by 'macro focus'.

Don't use sun to view but use sky as illuminant or but a light to shine onto the mirror.

Ruary

In astronomy the russian binocs are regarded as among the best, I'd snatch their hand off.

I use a Polish scope that's older than me.
I would buy the same model again if it broke.

Nothing wrong with east european scopes.

. Not sure what you mean by 'macro focus'.

Ruary

it has a main knob for focusing and a second control knob for fine focusing,

Can i just get any 23mm eyepiece , perhaps x5 for pollen with 8X @40X or does it have to be a LOMO eyepeice

what eyepiece is best, some say WF are they better

1970s Russian LOMO? That will fetch £1000.

Shhh don't tell everyone

Can I have one please? I promise I won't sell it on flea-bay

Well, maybe just a little bit of flea-bay action

:):smilielol5:

it has a main knob for focusing and a second control knob for fine focusing,

OK so that is coarse and fine focus sorted out. with your lenses (it has objective (90xoil in case), 40x 20x 12.5x and 8X, eyepiece 10x, 15x ) you can get the following magnifications.
Using x10 eyepiece x80; x125; x200; x400 and with the oil immersion x900
using the x15 eyepiece x120;x 187.5; x300; x600 and with the oil immersion x1350, there might be some empty magnification in the last setting.

Can i just get any 23mm eyepiece , perhaps x5 for pollen with 8X @40X or does it have to be a LOMO eyepeice
Pollen needs x400 magnification to give enough detail for type determination. got by using x10 eyepiece and x40 objective.
Some microscopes have the optical correction spread between the objective and the eyepiece. Borrow another 23mm eyepiece and try it and see.

what eyepiece is best, some say WF are they better
WF does what it says on the tin gives you a wider field of view, but there is nothing wrong with a 'normal' eyepiece.
My advice is buy the microscope and see how you get on with it, you might well decide that you don't need extra eyepieces. I would consider getting anx4 objective.
Ruary

I would consider getting anx4 objective.
Ruary

thanks, i order one and also a x40 as the lomo one was stratched, they cost me as much as the microscope

works very well since i re greased the brass mechanism after removing the thick old grease that had set like rock ,seemed sutable for a Russian tank rather than a microscope

I'd jump at buying one but I would prefer the tri-scope version for fitting a camera anyone know if this could be done with the lomo's?

Back