Is this label legal and the price!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it is "The Regent's Park".

One for the grammarians rather than Trading Standards.

You can have a "pretty" label, and another that carries all the statutory information, in the approved manner.
If the retailer's shelf-stacker displays it with the pretty label to the front, well that's not within your control.

BBKA do a good leaflet on honey labeling

can see it on this site, couldn't find it on BBKA site anymore

http://www.wirralbeekeepers.co.uk/resources/selling_honey.pdf

yes, that is a good link as i cant find it on the original site either

the only thing I find difficult is the those summary of regulations say a gap is needed between weight number and the g

so 454 g rather than 454g

But all the labels I have looked at in the cupboard and my Th**nes and Masiemeore labels are 454g ie without the requisite gap

So do we still need the gap?

Although not stated, is it being inferred that it is organic as in a shop that sells only organic goods? If so- naughty - as obviously not from organic plants.

Arent ALL plants organic by definition?

:facts:

Definition of organic
adjective
Relating to or derived from living matter

:D

To be honest, you can put what you like on your labels for the next few years.

Neither Trading Standards or your local EH are going to be bothered with a few honey jars while they've got minced-up Shergar, Muffin and Fido lurking around the food chain.

In Brighton we have a very large coop called infinity foods. they are a wholefood and organic store.

They only sell vegi and vegan products and wherever possible organic. It is impossible to provide organic honey from most of the uk. They sell a large range of honeys from both local and international sources. The main selling point is that it is treated as little as possible. So just because its in an organic shop its not always organic products, there would be way to many gaps in the product range, and also there is noway that pain es honeys are organic which are below this one.

Now im sure that the gent/lady that sells this honey probly treat that honey much less than the product on the shelf below which is from what i can see Pain es, who are now mostly a packaging company, thier 400 hives could no way produce the amount of honey they sell.

Out of the 2 companies i would purchase the regents park one any day, even if its double the price as i know where it comes from. My view is that we as beekeepers seem to undersell our product we should be aiming for as a larger price as we can get, you may then not complain so much about "how much beekeeping costs" as a hobby.

We are missing some massive tricks, how many beekeepers run out of honey by spring? customers then having to go to other products, if we were to increase by say 10%-20% im sure that sales will only reduce slightly but you would still sell out by the next harvest. You would also have then made 10/20% more on your harvest.

Dont undersell yourselves ever. You have a quality product charge a premium price for it. Sell it for what its worth dont try and keep it as low as the supermarkets, their customers are not yours so why try.

To be honest, you can put what you like on your labels for the next few years.

Neither Trading Standards or your local EH are going to be bothered with a few honey jars while they've got minced-up Shergar, Muffin and Fido lurking around the food chain.

but the beek would be easier to trace.

but the beek would be easier to trace.

Not always. I know a packer that buys cash and doesnt give reciepts for purchases and doesnt keep records of who each batch belongs to.

craig,

true but that's not really the point..;...mine is an honest product - it's just the label that contravenes EU regulations. The three local shops I sell it through know this, know me and know where the hives are.

I've discussed it informally over 565ml (a pint) with someone in my local council trading standards who points out they also police Brixton market - and environs. They'd only bother if a 'noisy' member of the public complained about the label and then it would just be a case of informative advice.

Obviously it's a different matter for beeks who go more wholesale....

richard

Good luck to the seller wish I could sell mine for that much.

craig,

true but that's not really the point..;...mine is an honest product - it's just the label that contravenes EU regulations. The three local shops I sell it through know this, know me and know where the hives are.

I've discussed it informally over 565ml (a pint) with someone in my local council trading standards who points out they also police Brixton market - and environs. They'd only bother if a 'noisy' member of the public complained about the label and then it would just be a case of informative advice.

Obviously it's a different matter for beeks who go more wholesale....

richard

Not having a go but why use them if you know the labels are wrong?
Did you buy a load and are simply using them up?

Craig

No, I designed the label myself 10 labels / A4 sheet and didn't want the very tasteful layout cluttering up with all the politburo name/address/lot no crap - also, the weight is bold 1lb with gms smaller underneath.

as you may guess, I'm rabidly anti EU !

richard

BBKA do a good leaflet on honey labeling
can see it on this site, couldn't find it on BBKA site anymore
As for many of the leaflets, it has no indication where the legislation is that covers particular rules. That is not good. Reading it you have no idea what legislation might have been amended. And there is no distinction between what is legislation, what is interpretation and what is merely unqualified opinion or hearsay.

the only thing I find difficult is the those summary of regulations say a gap is needed between weight number and the g

so 454 g rather than 454g

But all the labels I have looked at in the cupboard and my Th**nes and Masiemeore labels are 454g ie without the requisite gap

So do we still need the gap?
A question that came up before, it's not the only 'guide' that asserts this 'rule'. It's what makes these documents so annoying; how do you know any of the rules have anything behind them other than repetition? I looked into what was available in the published legislation and official government department guidance. There is nothing I could see that specifies you need a gap between the number and the unit symbol. This is the trail as I found it:

The basic legislation for all goods is the "Weights and Measures Act 1985".
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/72/enacted

"The Weights and Measures (Quantity Marking and Abbreviations of Units) Regulations 1987" http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1987/1538/contents/made was where the specification of size and format on labelling was first set down.

I have seen qualified honey show judges assert that other items have minimum sizes when awarding the label category. As most probably know, they don't, the only size specified is for the weight. Minimum 4 mm high for packages exceeding 200 g to 1 kg, 3 mm exceeding 50 g to 200 g, 2 mm for not exceeding 50g.

These rules were amended and carried forward by the "The Weights and Measures (Packaged Goods) Regulations 2006" http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/659/made This is where the current rules are laid down about which units and abbreviations are allowed. For weight of honey, for instance, the permitted units are kg for kilograms or g for grams. The quantity must be numeric and the units written in full or with the permitted abbreviation. It can be written as 500 g or 500 grams. Not five hundred grams. No other abbreviations such as “gr" or "gm". No derived units other than grams and kilograms such as decagrams.

A space between the number and the unit is the format used in all the official legislation and examples in the notes. A space is part of the scientific SI standard. However. If there is any mention of requiring a space on labels in the current legislation or official guidance notes, I can't see it. It's just not referred to.

Look for practical examples. He1nz baked beans have no gap between the number and the 'g'. If there is a single branded and packaged product that sells in greater numbers in the UK than He1nz baked beans, I can't think what it would be. On the other hand their soup cans have a gap. No distinction, rhyme or reason. So no, you don't need a gap because if it was ever specified in some obscure corner of legislation it is obsolete. Or it might as well be because it's not in the working set of legislation Trading Standards enforce.

Another specific rule in many many 'guides' that has been overtaken is that the weight has to be certain specific quantities, 454 g for instance. That was abolished in "The Weights and Measures (Specified Quantities) (Pre-packed Products) Regulations 2009" www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/663/made Your package can be any weight as long it is legibly labelled in the prescribed way.

You did ask. :)

Does the weight have to be in view?

No, the 'field of view' can be on the back - I checked before having mine printed. - all the mandatory crap is on the back of the jar, nice label as commanded by SWMBO on the front. :D

Latest posts

Back