Is this label legal and the price!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
just popped in to my local Organic Shop and noticed this London Honey

Is the label legal?

Tthe weight is not in the field of veiw but is printed at 90 dgrees to the main label and hidden around the Hex edge so when you look at the jar striaght on you cannot see the weight

The beekeeper also manages I think Fortnum and Massons hives, so hence the price £11.49 for 227g or in imperial £22,98 per lb

I think the claim "produced exclusively in Regents's Park" is very dubious. Last time I was there, I didn't see bee proof netting round the park. At least they are not claiming it is organic....

The price? Typical London, but for that money I'd expect a better quality label and some rustic twine round the lid.

Does the weight have to be in view?

Supermarket honey has the information on the back.

Fair Play to them, if they can get people to buy it.

It’s their hard won honey they can ask what they want.

I did think that bees could go about three miles for forage so label could be a bit off.

But it doesn’t look like a massive corporate operation, and perhaps it’s just a case of naming the honey after where the hives are rather than an intentional blag………. so Best of luck to them.

Fair Play to them, if they can get people to buy it.

It’s their hard won honey they can ask what they want.

I did think that bees could go about three miles for forage so label could be a bit off.

But it doesn’t look like a massive corporate operation, and perhaps it’s just a case of naming the honey after where the hives are rather than an intentional blag………. so Best of luck to them.

I think that they get around the "foraging area" by using the term "produced". No matter where the nectar is foraged from, the honey is produced within the hive and if they are located within the boundary of Regents Park then they are probably not telling porkies......but at that price they are guilty of daylight robbery!!

They may be there but I can't see use by date or country of origin.
Description is likely correct.

I think that they get around the "foraging area" by using the term "produced". No matter where the nectar is foraged from, the honey is produced within the hive and if they are located within the boundary of Regents Park then they are probably not telling porkies......but at that price they are guilty of daylight robbery!!

I was thinking exactly the same as you parkranger. The Honey IS actually produced at the location they say it is. The fact that the ingredients come from elsewhere doesnt change that. If they were saying that the honey only came from plants within the park, then that would be different.

You can buy a TV that says it's "Made in the UK" but this doesnt mean they havent included parts from abroad.

Semantics, but true...

On that note though, ALL beekeepers can make the claim that their honey is "produced" in their specific location.

:):)Thanks parkranger, that’s interesting to note about the production place, I will store that for future reference.

I think the label on the shelf states it £5.06 per 100g, it is daylight, every body can see what they are getting for the money.

It’s not going to be taking hard won cash from low income families (they wont buy it).

It would seem to me this is aimed at 'special people' who believe they live in a 'special' place who have enough money not to worry about things like prices.

At lest it’s a local product being sold locally not like the massively expensive manuka NZ import and i would put money that it tastes nicer than that stuff.

What we don’t know however is the shops mark up on this, it could be the BK sold at a reasonable price? I hope not, I hope she/he/ they are getting the lions share of any sales.

just my 2 pennys

:)

I would hope too that the label would be clean if I was paying top dollar for a product.

as per above - honey is produced in a hive. nectar is foraged from surrounding area. if all RP hives then label fine.

presume weight and SBD are out of view and will be ok as that is what big shops do.

I expect those bees get their minerals from the liquid run-off from lion poo.
Worth every penny! We only get cow pats round here.

We have no idea if it's outside the legislation or not without being able to see all round. Can't see a "best before", "produce of England" or specific lot number and is H<flower picture>NEY the equivalent of HONEY? Looks a bit tatty too, although that may be "craft appeal" and deliberate.

The address is the only item I can see that's covered without a problem. We can see the packers contact address, no city but the address format isn't prescribed. Big food companies use PO Box addresses and there's a post code so not ambiguous. If you look at the Food Labelling Regulations 1996 there is nothing that says the required "field of vision" has to be the front. If you had a clear statement of what it was (Honey), weight (4mm high) and best before (in the prescribed format) on the back that's covered the "field of vision" legality. Honey Regulations guidance say statement of origin such as "Produce of England" (or UK) has to appear somewhere legibly in addition to any other location (Regents Park), maybe it does. Is the lot number requirement covered by "2012"? Debatable, and a big batch to recall if there's a problem.

The price is high but is only an "offer to treat", there's nothing to say what sum you can advertise it for.

Last edited:
Although not stated, is it being inferred that it is organic as in a shop that sells only organic goods? If so- naughty - as obviously not from organic plants.

I'm not sure if it's 'getting round' anything, the hives are in Regents Park so that's where the honey is made. How else should they be labelled?

Round here there is "Local Honey", "any-town Honey", "Hampshire Honey" and "New Forest Honey". I've been advised that a location can only be used if the hives are within a geographical area drawn on a map.

As for the price. If I was buying I'd prefer to buy his honey than the overpriced and over-hyped imported Manuka.

The Honey IS actually produced at the location they say it is. The fact that the ingredients come from elsewhere doesnt change that.
:yeahthat::judge:

:ohthedrama: The labels may look tatty in the photo but that can be because of shadow from the angle of the jar.
I got labels from TH. and they moved some of the lettering to suit me as I thought the print design looked unbalanced. You can have the prescribed details any way you want on the label as long as it it the right size and information.
I hope to get things right this year and be able to sell at the gate.

Last edited:
We have no idea if it's outside the legislation or not without being able to see all round. Can't see a "best before", "produce of England" or specific lot number and is H<flower picture>NEY the equivalent of HONEY? Looks a bit tatty too, although that may be "craft appeal" and deliberate.

The address is the only item I can see that's covered without a problem. We can see the packers contact address, no city but the address format isn't prescribed. Big food companies use PO Box addresses and there's a post code so not ambiguous. If you look at the Food Labelling Regulations 1996 there is nothing that says the required "field of vision" has to be the front. If you had a clear statement of what it was (Honey), weight (4mm high) and best before (in the prescribed format) on the back that's covered the "field of vision" legality. Honey Regulations guidance say statement of origin such as "Produce of England" (or UK) has to appear somewhere legibly in addition to any other location (Regents Park), maybe it does. Is the lot number requirement covered by "2012"? Debatable, and a big batch to recall if there's a problem.

The price is high but is only an "offer to treat", there's nothing to say what sum you can advertise it for.

i will discretely photgrapgh the other side when next time i am in the shop

It should say country of origin.
The fact that us clever beeks know that Regents Park is in England does not matter.

If the jar, instead of being presented angle forward was seen flat forward, one would be able to see three of the six faces in the one field of view.
From what the OP said this would show the weight label.

Depends on how you look at the jar, and if you look downwards at an angle you would also be able to read the cover (if there was any print on it).

Latest posts

Back