Is this going to spoil my weekend...?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salamagundy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The temperature was up to 17 degrees today and I couldn't resist the temptation to have a look. All four hives still have good numbers of bees (min. six seams), stores in the combs, space for the queen to lay, varying amounts of brood, both sealed and unsealed. So far, so good, I thought - it looked like I had made it through my first winter without a disaster.

Two concerns: I spotted three drones in one hive, having seen a couple outside the hive (one dead) yesterday. There is a small amount of sealed worker brood in that hive. The queen is from 2010. I'm aware that finding drones at this time of year this is being discussed in another thread.

The second concern was about stains I saw on one of the outer frames in one hive. The comb was drawn last year on foundation which was probably a year old at that time. I don't think that frame has had brood in it, (it was added when I transferred a new nuc to a brood box last summer) but might be wrong. I've attached some pics. Should I be worried? Many thanks for all comments.

looks like it has had brood in it to me or some dark pollen

Looks ok to me - I'm still resisting temptation and will probably open up in about three weeks time (saw one drone this morning but plenty of workers foraging busily) It is nice here though but still a bit cold :)

To me it looks like normal brood comb discoloration from use.

I could be wrong but after a few seasons comb gets darker and darker with use.

*edit* Just had another look and it does seem strange the 2 patches in those positions!

*edit* Just had another look and it does seem strange the 2 patches in those positions!

Not really. If the quality of the broodnest comb is generally good there may be a desire in the colony for more drones than they have cells for in the main nest area. They can, and do, seek out drone patches, often well away from the main brood combs, to lay drone brood, and these are drone brood patches.

I was a bit concerned about the strange grey patch bottom centre of the first frame. It had my brain foxed for a moment, but then I realised that the gravel was just out of focus . . .

Similarly I wouldn't get over excited about the propalis staining. It's dark inside the hive after all and colour matching isn't a subject that all the bees major in.

Make sure that they are properly provisioned and in about three weeks, if it is dry and warm, will be time enough to see how they are doing. In the meantime, watching the entrance in the middle of a warm day should give you most of the information that you need. Fit and well, working with a purpose.

Looks ok to me, you've had some small patches of brood & the bees have eaten some of the food.
The comb is not the most evenly drawn but that depends on when the they do the job, its position/timing etc.
It maybe from one of these patches that have has accommodated some drone brood, that you have seen.
On the seen a few drones worry, sometimes a stock will carry a few a few drones just in case. Obviously the more & later etc, then probably more to bother about. It maybe a signal that they are not entirely happy with the Q., but again 2-3 probably nothing to be too concerned about. Just looky blighters that did not get kicked out earlier.

Latest posts

Back