Is this anything to worry about?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
loads
I have not been able to get one of the varroa boards out for a few weeks. This morning I had a good go and pulled it out. The floor was stuck in with propolis. when it came out I saw creamy white maggots on it. They were about 10mm in length and 2mm wide. about six it total.
What are they? Should I be worried?

Ta

Pete

Er, advice is to take them out every 48 hrs if poss.
perhaps been in too long?

"Maggots" probably wax moth larvae.

Not now!

Dead or alive?

Probably wax moth.

Bigger problem might be why the board is difficult to remove and why it is propolised.

Surely this is under your OMF? If not, then get some decent floors.

If it is under, there is no need for access to the top side of the board, so should not be propolised. Using a better-designed floor might be good.

I simply use runners below the board so they can be pushed upwards, if a little tight, and no groove to get stuck in, if the board warps at all or expands (nothing a planer will not fix).

All down to KISS principles being adhered to. Earlier designs were not all so good, so abandoned, but the present system works well.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Wax moth sounds right. Anything I can do about them?

The floor is OMF but I think the runners are to close to it. All my other ones are 5 or 6 mm away from the mesh this one is only 1 or 2 mm. Time to move it.

Thanks

Pete

Latest posts

Back