Is there still a shortage of bees this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I overwintered one wooden hive without top insulation (I forgot), it was the first to build up into a strong hive and the first to produce queen cells.

Certainly appears to be quite a shortage of Nuc's in South Central England.
I'm aware of several beks currently looking for stock but unable to locate anything, even from established suppliers. Possibly the high-profile that bees and their predicament have had on TV in recent months has heightened demand.

Certainly appears to be quite a shortage of Nuc's in South Central England.
I'm aware of several beks currently looking for stock but unable to locate anything, even from established suppliers. Possibly the high-profile that bees and their predicament have had on TV in recent months has heightened demand.

Have noticed an unprecedented rise in the numbers of Freecycle members in this area ( Plymouth & South West UK groups) asking for free bees!

True. But Hampshire is not exactly the frozen north.

No, it isn't, but last year wasn't an easy year.

The problems in our area seem to be rooted in the appallingly wet weather we had from about March/April last year through to December.

Pollen and nectar were washed from the flowers, and what pollen was retained probably either didn't ripen properly or was damaged by the wet - which would explain the loss of almost all last year's tree-fruit crops. Queens couldn't get out to mate, and if they did the mating was poor.

There wasn't much honey, and overwintering bees were dependent on their beekeepers. Pollen stored and used to raise the earliest bees this year was probably poor quality. Then this Spring was late arriving, there wasn't any pussy willow until mid-April.

Spring was late arriving, there wasn't any pussy willow until mid-April.

I was sure our was earlier so I checked.
This was taken on 9th March and the willow had been out a week or so.
Perhaps it's worth planting the earlier ones
It's Salix sachalinensis "Sekka".
The Salix caprea on the same site was indeed three weeks later

You exaggerate the benefits of poly here. People who keep bees in wood do so successfully. I like poly. I like wood. I overwintered over 25 colonies, mostly in wood, indeed some of them in ply nucs with kingspan or polystyrene on the roof.

I lost only one colony due to drone laying queen, so those wooden boxes did not kill the bees.

I know exactly the benefits of poly vs wood I've measured the difference in thermal conductance, its about another 10 degrees drop in ambient before they go into cluster.
Our part of hampshire is 300ft up (100m), its significantly colder and wetter than London. I 've seen it in the weather reports and felt it riding my motorbike every day into london.

Last edited:
The shortage and trouble with the past year will carry over to next year.
There is also a shortage of quality Queens I suspect the quality of imported queens will dip also. Demand far out strips supply this year for UK Queens.

I know exactly the benefits of poly vs wood I've measured the difference in thermal conductance, its about another 10 degrees drop in ambient before they go into cluster.
Our part of hampshire is 300ft up (100m), its significantly colder and wetter than London. I 've seen it in the weather reports and felt it riding my motorbike every day into london.

Yes, but it doesn't mean bees die in wood or that we shouldn't sell bees to people who keep wooden hives does it?

Yes, but it doesn't mean bees die in wood or that we shouldn't sell bees to people who keep wooden hives does it?

We overwintered 6 hives, 5 wood (cedar no insulation) and 1 poly, all survived, the poly was the 2nd slowest to build up and we put that down to the queen in the wood one so disposed of her. I know there are arguments for poly etc. but can't for the life of me understand why somebody wouldn't sell bees for either box, crazy.

Maybe with the insulation properties of the poly keeps the temperature more stable but the hive doesn't heat up the same as a wooden on with a weak / infrequent sun, so the queens in the wooden ones may feel the change coming sooner and start laying earlier. Just a thought, no doubt someone has measured it and has much more experience will be along soon to tell me I'm talking rubbish but seems more than a coincidence. BTW the queen in the poly is laying very well now, just started later.

I was sure our was earlier so I checked.
This was taken on 9th March and the willow had been out a week or so.

Spring was very late here, we think it was because the ground (heavy clay) was so wet and cold. It still hasn't dried out properly after all last year's rain.

It was odd to travel north and see that spring had 'arrived' whereas our area was still waiting.

We overwintered 6 hives, 5 wood (cedar no insulation) and 1 poly, all survived, the poly was the 2nd slowest to build up and we put that down to the queen in the wood one so disposed of her. I know there are arguments for poly etc. but can't for the life of me understand why somebody wouldn't sell bees for either box, crazy.

Maybe with the insulation properties of the poly keeps the temperature more stable but the hive doesn't heat up the same as a wooden on with a weak / infrequent sun, so the queens in the wooden ones may feel the change coming sooner and start laying earlier. Just a thought, no doubt someone has measured it and has much more experience will be along soon to tell me I'm talking rubbish but seems more than a coincidence. BTW the queen in the poly is laying very well now, just started later.

I read on one beekeeping site that bees in wooden hives build up earlier than poly, but the poly hives soon catch up. Are there still issues with poly as far as toxins are concerned?. Read somewhere on the internet that it causes cancer in animals. In humans it can have neurotoxic, hematological, cytogenetic and carcinogenic effects. Research is still ongoing and it depends which country you get the info from. Some foods leach out the styrene. I am not a scientist so await to be shot down. But the info is out there, just depends if honey is tested for poly and what the safe levels are. Not sure if kingspan is food grade. Just like everything else one year it is good for you the next it is bad.

True. But Hampshire is not exactly the frozen north.

No ... it's not ... but it's heading that way ! Never seen as much snow where I live as there has been in the last two years ... we NEVER had snow in Fareham until two years ago !! Not 5' snow drifts but it's been pretty damn cold and VERY wet ... hardly sub tropical south coast it used to be !

No ... it's not ... but it's heading that way ! Never seen as much snow where I live as there has been in the last two years ... we NEVER had snow in Fareham until two years ago !! Not 5' snow drifts but it's been pretty damn cold and VERY wet ... hardly sub tropical south coast it used to be !

Is that this global warming the BBC keep rattling on about then?

bees heat their hive, not sun. Inside temp is 36C in brooding. Bees start brood rearing in February even if hive is under snow. It continues if it has pollen stores. New feeder bees make early build up possible. ..remember pollen stores after winter!

In polyhives colony is able to make large brood areas.
Early brooding depends do the hive has pollen stores in combs. It is not temperature issue.
Like Carniolan, it tend to collect plenty of pollen. italian eates all in Autumn.

One hive says nothing. i have had polyhives 25 years and they get colonies early to foraging condition and they swarm earlier because colonies are bigger.

Last edited:
. Are there still issues with poly as far as toxins are concerned?. Read somewhere on the internet that it causes cancer in animals.

In that case don't feed a poly hive to your horse

. In humans it can have neurotoxic, hematological, cytogenetic and carcinogenic effects.
In that case neither should you snack on a polyhive (I believe anyway it's pretty unpalatable having almost the same properties as a big mac) or eat horsemeat if you believe they've been fed on poly hives :D

I read on one beekeeping site that bees in wooden hives build up earlier than poly, but the poly hives soon catch up. Are there still issues with poly as far as toxins are concerned?. Read somewhere on the internet that it causes cancer in animals.

Santa is coming! Are you ready!

I keep polyhives because they are superior. Of course toxic. That is why my best hives bring 150-200 kg honey per year (not lbs) . They work like last day is coming.

Latest posts

Back