Is there anything else that could be done

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
a New Beeks hives has gone down hill fast

scenerio

late Nuc from early July of 4+1 frames and a bit light, biult up until six weeks ago to 6 brood frames+ 4 stores in a National brood box, no super

5 weeks of inclemant weather, then one week of sunshine
weekly drop of varroa 15-20

5 weeks ago entrance down to 1"
wasps and slight robbing

3 weeks ago apiguard weekly drop 100+

2ltres of syrup on one week ago with rapid feeder as store low

Position now

Bees did not take syrup down ,Rapid feeder still full of 1:1 syrup
three frames of Bees, eating wax out, cappings all over floor
no brood, Queen starving and stopped laying but seen
no stores
wasps walking in unchallenged
few bees fighting at entrance

chill brood left around edge of frames

tried to help

2litres of1:1 syrup run into empty frames and rubbed in
New 2:1 syrup on and sloshed around feed hole
entrance blocked to 1+ bee size
apiguard off

i think its a no hoper and best combined but he wants to try to overwinter

Anything else i could do

i only have 14x12, is it worth me cutting out some hatching brood and donating this to his smaller frames , but mine have mainly stopped laying as well with the apiguard, so cant give too much

so how else could i help or do i just tell him give up and i get him a queen for spring and then donate new season brood then [he does not wish to combine,]

MM

Seems like the bees are demoralised, unable to defend and are doomed, unless serious intervention is undertaken.

Wondering how well tutored this new beek was, before taking on a colony. Presumably no mentor at that stage?

Sad, but it happens, and all too often to new beeks.

Anything else i could do

Not a lot, if he is unwilling to take advice. It may be possible to overwinter them, as I don't know all the fine details, but it will be hard, in my view, to get them to the winter - let alone through it.

Regards, RAB

MM, good on you for providing this level of support! If they are down on critical mass and she is already not laying then the prospect of healthy bees that can make it through and be the early 2011 foragers is low. You could try switching 2:1 with a drop of lemongrass per 5 Ltr into a frame feeder and see if that kicks starts them, combined with the entrance being shut completely for 3 days to stop robbing etc (I assume they are on OMF) and give them a breather from attack, but it's late for a viable recovery don't you think? - all this if he/she is determined to go on with this colony?

Perhaps the kinder thing to do (even if you unoffocially ditch them if they are that varoa laidened) is to 'offer' to combine them with one of your colonies and tell him that he can take a split from you next season?

If nothing else the person in question has gained some valuable experience, a lived in hive and some drawn comb - everything they need for a decent bait hive next May.

I would say take your losses early and combine them (as long as disease free of course).

By your description it will be a slim chance of them making it through the winter.

Wondering how well tutored this new beek was, before taking on a colony. Presumably no mentor at that stage?

Regards, RAB

think what happened is " honey harvesting" got in the way of 1 to 1 mentorship, they seemed ok 6 weeks ago and the beek took over fully the inspections

his mentor (apiary manager) is cut up about it, and if they fail, is going to buy a spring queen, and i have offered spring brood ( one my hives is carnieX and one of those that produces bees very fast in early spring, in fact too fast as i am sure if i let it it would be on double 14x12

MM
Have you or do you know anyone with a microscope to check for Nosema, bees with nosema cannot feed and without food the rest as we say is history
Kev

Latest posts

Back