is the 1st super (mostly pollen) worth reusing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preyingmantos

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ive gathered a collection of 1st supers off my power colonies (some of which have done over 300pound) and extracted the thin outside layer of honey, but is it worth saving this mass of pollen (15 pounds worth i would say per super), and use again in the spring. will the bees be able to re use this pollen stored? or is it worth melting down or cutting the pollen out?

hmmm thats a intresting point... so now ive got all these supers full of pollen can i put them on next year to make a brood and a half... will that give them a boost?

I would leave them on and feed up.

If you have not seen the phrase "Let the bees tell you." then you have now... LOL

Listen to the bees wants and respond. That is the covenant we have with them.

PH

if you store them watch for mould ok

As long as the hive has brood, it needs its pollen stores. When emerged bees prepare themselves for winter, they eate lots of pollen. During winter bees eate it too.

I put all pollen frames back to hives before winter feeding. the whole box is too much but 4 frames woud be necessary too bees during autumn.

During autumn it is better keep them all in the hive like polyhive says.

Last edited:
ive gathered a collection of 1st supers off my power colonies (some of which have done over 300pound) and extracted the thin outside layer of honey, but is it worth saving this mass of pollen (15 pounds worth i would say per super), and use again in the spring. will the bees be able to re use this pollen stored? or is it worth melting down or cutting the pollen out?

Are they double brood and big colonies as 300lbs is impressive.

not as big as you would think no, single brood box. my dad is the real expert though and how he achieves it i couldnt really tell you (but he does work 7 days a week on the 10 day inspections to limit swarming). also some of these are moved from apples to OSR etc... he tells me that sometimes bigger isnt always better and his most productive collonies only require one brood box. As for me, i only deal with the splits so my aveage is much lower :)

Latest posts

Back