Is swarming season over?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, wouldn't you know, I spoke too soon! A big swarm issued from one of the hives bang on 12pm. I heard the hum and was able to watch them for 10 minutes or so while they decided which way their whirling would take them.
They settled in a difficult to access elderflower tree, with yards of brambles beneath, but, with the aid of a bucket attached to the end of an extending fruit harvesting pole l was able to capture them and house in a brood body l have had ready and waiting since March. Filled it with some drawn and some new undrawn frames. Just hope they will stay

Well done you!

Is it true, as suggested by others on this forum, that the swarming season is now likely to be over?
I have had no swarming this year and there is no indications within my three hives of any preparation. Bee activity is pretty good in all three.
A neighbouring beekeeper has the same experience.
Perhaps the warmer weather this week will be their last opportunity?

No it's not over yet. I think they are a bit later 3+ weeks this year with the wet February we had knocked them back

The queens I have in my 3 hives are: 1. a swarm; 2. a supersedure; and 3. a new postal queen as a replacement for one who they did in. They’re all ‘new’ from about 6 weeks ago. I’m only doing very rudimentary inspections for space and obvious issues at present on the basis that swarm risk is very low. Do you think I’m being a bit optimistic?

You should be all right Stephen, I would think.
Three of my four hives were headed this year, by queens in their first full season - from swarms last year, so I hoped for a less swarmy time.
But I have lost a swarm, captured a swarm, had a supercedure occur and currently have a hive where I found a queen cell two weeks ago, with the hinged cap open suggesting a virgin had emerged. So far no sign of her laying and I don't think this one has swarmed.
As Winnie said, "you can never tell with bees".

The queens I have in my 3 hives are: 1. a swarm; 2. a supersedure; and 3. a new postal queen as a replacement for one who they did in. They’re all ‘new’ from about 6 weeks ago. I’m only doing very rudimentary inspections for space and obvious issues at present on the basis that swarm risk is very low. Do you think I’m being a bit optimistic?

Absolutely, when the climatic conditions are good they want to swarm. A big flow on here and still early in the season. I had a swarm on 3rd September one year when everyone but everyone said "bees don't swarm this time of the year"! You have two queens there with unknowns genetics?

Thank you for the replies. I’ll do a more appropriate inspection tomorrow. My neighbours are great about us keeping bees and I certainly want to keep it that way as well as not losing half a hive or so.

Well, wouldn't you know, I spoke too soon! A big swarm issued from one of the hives bang on 12pm. I heard the hum and was able to watch them for 10 minutes or so while they decided which way their whirling would take them.
They settled in a difficult to access elderflower tree, with yards of brambles beneath, but, with the aid of a bucket attached to the end of an extending fruit harvesting pole l was able to capture them and house in a brood body l have had ready and waiting since March. Filled it with some drawn and some new undrawn frames. Just hope they will stay
If I can successfully load it, here is a picture of the swarm catcher that my son and I contrived to catch the swarm high up above a bramble copse. The fruit harvesting pole was extended to more than 10 feet.

Attachments

• swarm catcher resize.jpg
    swarm catcher resize.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 55
If I can successfully load it, here is a picture of the swarm catcher that my son and I contrived to catch the swarm high up above a bramble copse. The fruit harvesting pole was extended to more than 10 feet.

Fruit harvesting pole, that's interesting.

All I can say is if your colonies have already made swarm preps and you have dealt with them then yes. Otherwise no.

err.... no... had one colony swarm twice this year ... first time a big swarm...from one of my artificial trees, went into a poly built up to 2 supers. Swarmed again the morning of when they were due to be inspected and split.
The second time really BIG! they flew into a branch 10ft up in the air. By the time they settled it was 6ft up. Shook it into a box and then put it into a brood and a half.

err.... no... had one colony swarm twice this year ... first time a big swarm...from one of my artificial trees, went into a poly built up to 2 supers. Swarmed again the morning of when they were due to be inspected and split.
The second time really BIG! they flew into a branch 10ft up in the air. By the time they settled it was 6ft up. Shook it into a box and then put it into a brood and a half.

I suppose it’s a game of chance in that respect. How many of your colonies have done that in all the years you have been keeping bees? I’ve had one maybe close and that’s just the sort of genes I don’t need

I suppose it’s a game of chance in that respect. How many of your colonies have done that in all the years you have been keeping bees? I’ve had one maybe close and that’s just the sort of genes I don’t need
Only the second time... but that's Schroedinger's Bees for you. I dont think these are swarmy just very prolific.

Similar to your son's contraption, I did use a bucket on an 8 metre pole a few years ago. (two 4.8 metre long bits of timber screwed together, overlapping). After a couple of attempts, I got enough of the swarm into a nuc and then the remaining bees came down and surrounded it - telling me that the queen was inside.

Latest posts

Back