Is spring getting coiled to be sprung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same with me in west Midlands, looked at long range weather , thing another week of unsettled then dry.Dark orange and light yellow pollen coming in but not in huge amounts.

All the “exotic “ willow is out in the apiary and being rained on.
A little blackthorn out in patches and buds pretty visible.

Some of the early cherries are now in full blossom here, and are covered in bees.
Yes. I noticed a few here in Beds too. There are two beauties in flower near my home but the hedges are still quite bare. Willow has been out for a while here - I've been monitoring natural mite drop for 3 weeks now.

Further to my last - should have looked out the study window really - this one crack willow opposite Brynmair is always a few weeks ahead of the rest - noticed one at the opposite side of the valley also in full bloom, not the best of pictures, but the sun decided to hide for a while
spring1.jpgspring2.jpg
Then the amazing thing about this little bud is it is on the neighbouring tree which was hached down last autumn by the council to help with road visibility, it's just laid down there and the cut end is totally exposed and not in contact whith the ground or anything - yet there are buds on it that are about to open
spring3.jpg

The hedgerows around me are white with blackthorn ... the A3 yesterday morning was bright white in the sun!
yes, but we're a bit further West than you, Dani is even further West but has benefit of the gulf stream

Blackthorn has been out for 10 days now ... ornamental cherries also in flower and now going over ... my plum and cherry trees not far off coming into bloom.. just going out to cut the lawn for the first time...hasn't really stopped growing all winter ... such as winter is down here on the Costa del Fareham...bees very busy... entrances like clapham junction in rush hour... pollen sacks so full they are crash landing!

Raining again and 7C.

It feels like winter still (and with fog, dark enough)

Garden hives bringing back loads of pollen today with many bees working the Hellebores (I have at least 60 plants) . Also saw a queen wasp sucking up nectar from an hellebore flower . By time I got my camera from the house the wasp had gone otherwise would have posted a pic. Maybe it will come back and I will be quicker off the mark next time.

Spring is on the way but I think it will be May before weather settles down a bit.

Busiest bee day of the year so far today. Ornamental Cherries and plum trees in full blossom and some on their way out. Even our evergreen clematis has got a couple of flowers open. Don’t think we get much Blackthorn around here though.

Only small patches of blackthorn out around me, but willow catkins opening today and bees onto them - those right at the top of the tree.
The bees have had the busiest two days so far with one hive black with bees all over the front, yesterday. 20 mins later they had gone back in.
All four colonies very active thankfully.

Some blackthorn out in blossom here and willow out
Snowdrops and crocuses ending
Some other blossom about but feels it’s early days...another couple of weeks perhaps before inspection

It's all kicking off in North Birmingham/Sandwell valley. I saw my first cherry blossom weeks ago. Blackthorn etc. are now flowering everywhere. I was at the farm apiary last week. It's pretty much the same there. All the bees are very busy when the weather is warmer. It's too early to do any full inspections yet.
April is going to be busy. I hope to have loads of new poly-hives and nucs to paint. As for frame and foundation......phew, I will be working into the small hours on that front I think!

It's all kicking off in North Birmingham/Sandwell valley. I saw my first cherry blossom weeks ago. Blackthorn etc. are now flowering everywhere. I was at the farm apiary last week. It's pretty much the same there. All the bees are very busy when the weather is warmer. It's too early to do any full inspections yet.
April is going to be busy. I hope to have loads of new poly-hives and nucs to paint. As for frame and foundation......phew, I will be working into the small hours on that front I think!
I’ve just finished painting my poly stuff and made up frames ready for foundation or bamboo skewers as house arrest has given me lots of time this year! This is my first year when ”being ready” (except for the things I’ve overlooked😳) so I know how you feel to up against it.
Your profile says more than 20 hives where I have only four too, so all you need to do is learn to cope with three hours sleep per night😀

In Cheshire and my plum way off and willow not started, but wild plum going great guns! Stood for ages the other day watching the bees go back and forwards. Watching all the petals blowing past my windows in the high winds not so good!

Attachments

• 0B69B036-4638-4BE7-B62E-A26E5D9FE6B0.jpeg
    0B69B036-4638-4BE7-B62E-A26E5D9FE6B0.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back