Is not removing the QX a big risk?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Two
One of my new colonies in a WBC only has one half full super above the brood and QX, so I will need to feed in the NY. Is it really necessary to remove the QX under such circumstances, and if so, why?

I've forgotten to remove the QE a couple of times and got away with it because the brood box had plenty of stores.
The risk is that either the cluster will move up through the QE leaving the Q behind, or more likely they will stay with her and not move up to the stores, and starve if stores below the QE are inadequate.
If you know you need to feed this winter anyway why not nadir the super and feed them soon. The super will likely be empty in the spring.

why do you perceive it to be a 'risk'
and if you think they will run out of stores before spring - feed them now, but with half a super full on top of what is around the brood, why do you think they will run out?

I've forgotten to remove the QE a couple of times and got away with it because the brood box had plenty of stores.
The risk is that either the cluster will move up through the QE leaving the Q behind, or more likely they will stay with her and not move up to the stores, and starve if stores below the QE are inadequate.
If you know you need to feed this winter anyway why not nadir the super and feed them soon. The super will likely be empty in the spring.
Thanks Sutty. I knew about the risk of the cluster moving up and leaving the Q behind, but not about them staying down with her and starving. That double risk makes me decide to do the recommended thing and remove the QX, but I will spend winter months worrying that I can find her in the spring and be sure she is back in the brood box!

Thanks Sutty. I knew about the risk of the cluster moving up and leaving the Q behind, but not about them staying down with her and starving. That double risk makes me decide to do the recommended thing and remove the QX, but I will spend winter months worrying that I can find her in the spring and be sure she is back in the brood box!
You can just shake all the bees into the brood box from the super before replacing the QE - an empty super on top of the brood box helps as a "funnel" - that way you know she is below the QE.

You can just shake all the bees into the brood box from the super before replacing the QE - an empty super on top of the brood box helps as a "funnel" - that way you know she is below the QE.
Thanks again Sutty. I will worry a little less!

Right or wrong, at this time of year I will let her majesty and all her subjects roam where they please. I take the view that they are much smarter than me. My job at this juncture is to help my girls keep warm and fed.

Latest posts

Back