Is it too late ????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAZERLOZ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two hives and one of them is queenless..... I haven’t had much time lately and it has been queenless for a while 3 weeks maybe more. Is it too late to let them do their thing with a frame from my other hive or should I buy in a queen?
Cheers

No, you think they are queenless which is quite another thing. It may be a brood stop eh?

Yes, put in a frame with some young grubs on it to check if they actually are queenless or not. That wee job could save you £40.

PH

No pretty sure they are queenless but have put a frame in there will have look on Wednesday

So
Looked in today
Bees very calm on the comb, not building queen cells on eggs I put in from the other hive .........but if I had a drone layer in there would they build queen cells?
There was a few drone cells scattered about one frame.

If you have a DL then no obviously as you have a queen in there. anything else to report other than some drone cells? No worker brood?

PH

So
Looked in today
Bees very calm on the comb, not building queen cells on eggs I put in from the other hive .........but if I had a drone layer in there would they build queen cells?
There was a few drone cells scattered about one frame.
I have had a few drone layers over the past couple of years with no Queen cells present.

a 'few' drone cells scattered around but no larvae indicates to me that the queen has stopped laying for whatever reason - all worker brood has emerged and so it's only the last drones laid waiting to emerge.
Classic normal end of summer brood break

a 'few' drone cells scattered around but no larvae indicates to me that the queen has stopped laying for whatever reason - all worker brood has emerged and so it's only the last drones laid waiting to emerge.
Classic normal end of summer brood break

Absolutely......I would it money on it!
E

Right have put in 2 different frames from 2 nd hive still no queen cells but no brood other than drone. Have decided to buy in another queen. Decided to sieve the bees and found a large normal looking queen........put this in a 2 frame nuc and placed new queen in the hive. Still got the tape and candy on the introduction cage but will go in tomorrow and remove the tape. Will the queen in the nuc possibly start laying or not?
Cheers

Latest posts

Back