Is it too late to split?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbchive

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,
What do people think about splitting a colony in West Yorkshire at this time of year? Is it too late? I've noticed a lot of forlorn drones wandering around outside the hives, so I'm thinking it may be all over for this year. All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Steve

It's not too late to split. I am still getting swarms so ...... They won't be forlorn for long with a virgin around!
E

It rather depends on what you are splitting, n'est ce pas? Biggest danger is probably wasps and new beeks at this time of the year. Drones will be around until they get thrown out in the autumn? How many drones does it take to mate a queen? How many queens are superceded late in the season?

Ask yourself those questions. The answers might be enlightening for you.

IMHO it's not too late to split, but you might be pushing it trying to get a queen mated and laying enough to replace the aging bees that will be in the split.

So make sure there is plenty of brood in the queenless hive and or buy a mated queen.

Back