Is it to late to demaree?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there you are why don’t you use those and still keep your colonies producing or are you going to plunder production colonies for brood to make nucs?
Or what about those queens you were advertising for sale

You’re the commercial bee farmer
No harm in that to make increase but you can’t have both....... or can you?

Maybe it’s time we reinstated the commercial section then maybe you’d get better answers.
I will be making nucs and I have some already. Any extra queen's I will hopefully sell and nucs.
Im happy with 20 production colonys because I'm thinking of next year and this will be 50 .
My clients aren't interested in honey either they are in know rush, it's all about numbers really for them.
Now I know I can make kielers up I will up scale to 25/50 On the hill and have some at work.
I plan to buy packages next year also.

At what stage do you do that Dani? I have a production colony that has just made a couple of charged cells. Are you saying that I can remove the existing queen and place a 2021 mated queen instead and this will stop the swarming intent?
Very often it does.
But don’t take my word for it. See if any commercials pick this question up @jenkinsbrynmair @mbc @sipa will do for a start.

I will be making nucs and I have some already. Any extra queen's I will hopefully sell and nucs.
Im happy with 20 production colonys because I'm thinking of next year and this will be 50 .
My clients aren't interested in honey either they are in know rush, it's all about numbers really for them.
Now I know I can make kielers up I will up scale to 25/50 On the hill and have some at work.
I plan to buy packages next year also.
Are you ever going to make money at this?

Last edited:
Very often it does.
But don’t take my word for it. See if any commercials pick this question up @jenkinsbrynmair @mbc @sipa will do for a start.
Can't say I've ever tried so can't really comment - I haven't got the luxury of a ready supply of queens so not much chance of having one handy if I find swarm cells. I haven't got the time to faff around with Pagden either so I just nuc the queen and let them get on with raising a new one - just ensuring they only have one QC to play with so I don't get a prime swarm on the first virgin out. In most cases this doesn't impact much on the honey production either.

Can't say I've ever tried so can't really comment - I haven't got the luxury of a ready supply of queens so not much chance of having one handy if I find swarm cells. I haven't got the time to faff around with Pagden either so I just nuc the queen and let them get on with raising a new one - just ensuring they only have one QC to play with so I don't get a prime swarm on the first virgin out. In most cases this doesn't impact much on the honey production either.
4 days ago I united two colonys removed the queen from the one colony and took down the last cell in a single brood and walked the queen in hopefully it worked they seem to except the new queen when she walked in.
Thus keeping both mated queen's and having a very strong colony and a new queen for the single with one cell.

It’s all I ever do nowadays. A couple of demarees so that I can play with the bees but the former seems to work without any faff

4 days ago I united two colonys removed the queen from the one colony and took down the last cell in a single brood and walked the queen in hopefully it worked they seem to except the new queen when she walked in.
Thus keeping both mated queen's and having a very strong colony and a new queen for the single with one cell.
I'm at a loss if I can understand what you've done.
you united two colonies, removed the queen from one - was the other queenless already? and was the walked in queen mated or virgin?

Yes same here, I am not really following Mark. I united 2 colonies yesterday, one was q- so I removed the 3 cells I had left before uniting with a Qright colony. That's usually straight forward and gives me a strong Qright colony ready for the main flow.

I'm at a loss if I can understand what you've done.
you united two colonies, removed the queen from one - was the other queenless already? and was the walked in queen mated or virgin?
No I think it’s uniting two colonies with laying queens and requeening another colony that had a queen cell in it with the removed queen.
personally I’d have just united one colony to the queenless one.

Latest posts

Back