Is it me or has it gone 'swarm mad'?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I don't know about the other UK regions but I've picked up six swarms around the Cheshire, Manchester and North Shropshire regions in the last two days....four large prime swarms and two cast swarms.

Since the beginning of this mini-heatwave that we're currently experiencing the phone hasn't stopped ringing!

Anyone else on here experiencing the same?

Not here ... seems quite quiet on the swarm front at the moment...

Slighty off topic I know but are you getting a decent nectar flow at the moment?

Slighty off topic I know but are you getting a decent nectar flow at the moment?

Personally, yes....lots and lots of white clover and high temps....however, these are coming from all over.

Are the calls coming through the BBKA website?

I wish the only calls I'm getting is about bumble bees and wasps for the area I cover.

I am in Essex,South Woodham Ferrers,I had two yesterday all told have been called out five times,refused three as too far or bloody awkward to deal with.It seems to me that we have all sorts who must have bee's,because we have seen on TV that we need to have them.However they do not join the divisions of the BKA do not really know what they need to do,and the result is swarms all over the place.

I have had two swarms this week. One which came to my bait box and one call out.

Although I am not equipped for collecting anymore as I have run out of boxes.

I've had a few calls this year, but they were all from people who had bubble bee nests.

I've learnt to ask a few questions before going out to see them!

I've got a bubble bee nest in my own garden as it happens!

I am in Essex,South Woodham Ferrers,I had two yesterday all told have been called out five times,refused three as too far or bloody awkward to deal with.It seems to me that we have all sorts who must have bee's,because we have seen on TV that we need to have them.However they do not join the divisions of the BKA do not really know what they need to do,and the result is swarms all over the place.

What gave me the final push to start up bee keeping was a swarm that flew over my work truck some years ago , I am glad to see lots of new beginners’ starting up and the more the better, if that means more swarms to pick up then so be it and if any of them swarms make it as feral I see that beinging a good think that bees are try to over come some of the pressures that we have put on them. There are beekeepers out there that have had bees over 30 years and still have the odd swarm get away. You don’t have to join the BKA but you can still go to a club open day etc and meet like minded people get some advice from more experienced beekeepers, I some times go to a club but a don’t belong to any and I get by ok, you can’t blame a active swarming time on beginners it’s what bees do.

Regards Tony

A swarm box I set in a tree at the back of my workshop has had a lot of interest in it over the last few days, keeping an eye in it but as it had a lot of bees looking at it on Thursday and have diminished since I think they are losing interest.
Still I live in hope

Last edited:
I use a old national brood box with drawn out frames and it has worked well, I wait until I can see the bees cleaning out the old frames which is a good sign they will stay and then local them on the new site and transfer them and the frames into the new home.

Regards Tony

I've always found that the best way to deal with bubble bees is to call for Mr matey (do you remember that?!?) Or just pop them with your kids...
:)
Sam

Personally, yes....lots and lots of white clover and high temps....however, these are coming from all over.

Hmm ... Not much evidence of planned swarming here (at the moment). The majority of the bees had a crack earlier this year and are just filling boxes at the moment.

It will be interesting to see what happens next...

My site is going mad for bee swarms at the mo, i hope that those from here who are registered, are getting a few calls from it...

Have not had any down this way, my own bees were showing little sign of it either,......last time i checked.

Went up today after inspection a fortnight ago, the week prior i had removed frames to make up a nuc, replaced those taken with foundation, no play cups, all good, plenty of space.

going through them this afternoon, lots and lots of cups, couldnt see the queen for the first time this year, Hmmm, took some frames out, in the middle of the mesh floor was a cluster of bees, on the underside with the queen, (bugger).
popped her back in, went through frames again, found one with jelly and larva, (double bugger), removed but they are obviously intent.

Was going to go back up tomorrow and do an AS, now found out i have run out of Brood Frames :)banghead:), i have some on order but they did not arrive today.

I will still go through tomorrow and see if she has laid in any, though she looks slim and could well be on hold, but it might give me a bit of time perhaps.

The upside is my nuc has a very dark Queen now in residence, so very pleased with that, just need her to mate and start to lay.

Arent Bees Fab. :)

Have managed to pick 6 swarms up in and around west berks, north wilts since the 2nd week of may!

Lucky to be good friends with some pest control people in the local area, so get first dibbs:)

And managed to re home a few bumble nests too (which was fun!) put one at the bottom of my garden,

Ian

I don't know about the other UK regions but I've picked up six swarms around the Cheshire, Manchester and North Shropshire regions in the last two days....four large prime swarms and two cast swarms.

Since the beginning of this mini-heatwave that we're currently experiencing the phone hasn't stopped ringing!

Anyone else on here experiencing the same?

If there's any you dont want, let me know. I've only had calls about Bumble bees.

Latest posts

Back