Is it April 1st ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumble Bee Slim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Council bills couple £469 for growing vegetables in their own garden

Apparently they needed planning permission.

why spoil a good story with the truth?
Wasn't the Daily Fail by any chance?
The newspaper stories I've just read make no reference to council lawns, this is from the Independent

The council have argued that installing the vegetable patch had constituted a “change of use” of the land - even though they own it, and has never been fenced off.
A father of four, Mr Lawes spent £3,000 to build the 9ft by 15ft plot, claims Land Registry records shows the patch of grass has been part of the property since 1969

The newspaper stories I've just read make no reference to council lawns, this is from the Independent

The council have argued that installing the vegetable patch had constituted a “change of use” of the land - even though they own it, and has never been fenced off.
A father of four, Mr Lawes spent £3,000 to build the 9ft by 15ft plot, claims Land Registry records shows the patch of grass has been part of the property since 1969

Might depend on whether there are any covenants on the land restricting use. For example, I'm in an ex-council house and technically not allowed to keep chickens at home as livestock are banned in the deeds. There's also one banning running a business from it which is likely to apply to the whole street and I suspect a few of the neighbours are unaware of.

Might depend on whether there are any covenants on the land restricting use. For example, I'm in an ex-council house and technically not allowed to keep chickens at home as livestock are banned in the deeds. There's also one banning running a business from it which is likely to apply to the whole street and I suspect a few of the neighbours are unaware of.
I have the same on my ex council house but I doubt anyone will do anything about my honey and egg sales 🤣
At a previous house I was not allowed to have a fairground in my front garden! ( it was 10x5m)

I've read the story, seems that the land in question (even though on their deeds) and the neighbouring land has always been unenclosed and assumed common use land thus technically there is a change of use.
But it's a common money making ruse with county councils now - they will even slap you with a bill for retrospective planning permission if you do essential maintenance like re-doing a roof or hacking off and re-rendering an outside wall that needs re-proofing

Latest posts

Back