Is it A good Idea to keep a Bee journal ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punky3612

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
ben thinking about starting a bee journal. Is this something that most beekeepers do?

ben thinking about starting a bee journal. Is this something that most beekeepers do?
I am only in my second season but I would say a journal or hive notes are absolutely vital! Especially with more than one colony - I would never keep it all straight in my head. I make so many mistakes that I need to document the circumstances and outcomes of all of my actions to learn. I list temp, weather, general conditions as well as the temperamant/behaviour of the bees as well as anything I do. Hopefully I will be able to look back and learn.......

I started beekeeping last year and keep a journal.. Very useful..especially dates and who did what and when..

I keep basic hive notes, I just list what I did, and saw and what I need to do next visit. But that also means you have to remember to read the notes before your next visit lol.

It's a must. Having only been beekeeping a year and now going back through my notes can see where my mistakes were made.
ie suspercedures cells made in August, removed them and ended up with an unmated queen this spring.

It doesn't take 5mins per hive to do.

I keep hive notes on my computer with all the things I've seen, done and plan to do with each colony.
Then I set up a reminder in my diary with an alarm on the day to remind me to look at my notes.

I used to leave a card pined in the hive roof..... but after a couple of senior moments I now write up notes after each visit... 6 to seven day intervals, noted sequentially in a bound note book... nothing posh... a bit like my lab notes.... but a lifesaver when something happens...... what type filter did you use on that virus sample????????

Yes.

The BBKA has a free leaflet with sample record card available for download as food for thought. Look on the BBKA site under Publications - Info Leaflets - Beekeeping Records.

LOL No.

I keep very basic records on the roof or CB and that is it.

I feel that some are in danger of bogging down in over detailed notes that whilst very informative are of not much practical use.

Instance. Queen is clipped and marked and has 8 frames of brood. On the card I put this:

R/c Q 2010 (translation: Red marked/clipped queen from 2010) I do NOT follow the fancy colour chart as some colours do not work for me)

8/5 8+1 OK

15/5 9+1 OK Sup on.

Translated, on the 8th of May there were 8 frames of brood, all was well (ok) and I added a frame to the brood nest.

Hence on the 15th there were 9 frames of brood all was well (ok) and the ist super was added.

That is all I need to know.

PH

I need notes to remember what need doing with each colony. If I din't have notes, I wouldnt remember what to take with me next time. I record things in a notebook, but then transcribe immediately I get home into a spreadsheet.

Isnt there a legal requirement to record treatments?

You should record what you treat your bees with along with any batch numbers on the items.

when I first started and only had one hive Ihave to admit I was very slap dash about keeping records, I could easily remember what was what with the one hive, However now I have 3 of my own and look after someone elses who now also wants to expand to 2 hives I find keeping a quick journal is essential. saves double running to site when I have forgotten that I need another super or piece of equipment.

psafloyd,

You may want to read the Beetight Blog as it seems Apple apps for Beetight are delayed. Looks like Apple wants a cut!

If a written record can be lost, I'll lose it. I use Beetight Pro - very quick and easy to record vital information in the field (iPhone) with a full version available on the main website for added detail.

Only a beekeeper could have written it (he must be very busy on future development, judging by the lack of posts around here). :)

Yep, I use beetight Pro too, and it's $15 dollars (not £s) so it works out about £10. Much safer than relying on a book or a spreadsheet

Latest posts

Back