Is anyone using the M*** L*** hybrid nationals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
Has anyone been using these with the wax coated foundation?
Are they any good are is it a pain having kit of a different size or can they be used in ordinary nationals? The prices are good or is that because no one wants them

They simply aren't "Nationals".

If it helps, think of them as being Commercials, but with a different depth - Langstroth depth.

"Hybrid Commercials" would be a better (if less catchy) description, IMHO.

They simply aren't "Nationals".

:iagree: The only thing "national" about them is the footprint, apart from that they seem to be a recipe for frustration with everything else being different to a "real national".

I think that ML are flying very close to the edge with advertising standards, because the name is quite misleading, especially as they seem reluctant to give details about what they actually are.

I posted elsewhere about how awkward it is to put Mann Lake plastic foundation in national super frames, because they are narrower and shallower. The ML sales person at the Convention said it was quite straightforward to do.

Incidentally, I've just been clearing up the detritus from the Convention.
Mann Lake gave a free Honeybee Foulbrood Test Kit with every order over £10.
I've just noticed its expiry date was January 2015!

An own-goal for customer relations then.

Dusty

Kit will probably still work. Also they don't need to pay for disposal if they give them away!

It's a great leap 'forwards' to take a standard and change it one individual user. Can I propose the 11' 9/16 becomes a hybrid foot.

I wonder if some of the sales of hybrid nationals are because the purchaser made a mistake? Their web page doesn't say what the depth of the frame is :( So are the frames just langstroth side bars then?
If there is a good reason for selling such a product, then there should be a clear explination of the positives rather than hide the truth. Or did I miss something?

Last edited:
It's a great leap 'forwards' to take a standard and change it one individual user. Can I propose the 11' 9/16 becomes a hybrid foot.
Do you mean 11 feet and 9/16th of an inch or 11 and 9/16 inches?

have managed to find sizes on ML's site - on page 9 of their catalogue, the word "here" links to their frame dimensions page:

http://www.mannlake.co.uk/mm5/graphics/ML_Frame_Dims.pdf

It says that the comb depth (Dimension C) for the hybrid brood is the same as their langstroth brood and the hybrid super is the same comb depth as their langstroth super. Which is what I had understood.
But the widths look ... strange.
The table says that the hybrid frame width (Dimension B sidebar/sidebar) is just 1/10 inch more than the National, and the hybrid's topbar 'length' (Dimension F) is exactly 2 inches shorter :eek: than a Commercial topbar and 1.75 inches shorter :eek: :eek: than the real National topbar (which both also fit across the National footprint) ... which makes me at risk of sounding like Victor Meldrew ...

Last edited:
I think I'll stick with proper nationals!

Why they had to reinvent the wheel slightly differently I don't know. I won't be buying any of it.
The prices of their Langstroth stuff are pretty low.

ML

Hi all
a friend of mine has bought six ML hives complete at a good price to, time will tell if hes happy with them but at first I poo poo'ed the idea of poly nucs but there great so you never know !

Dave

Latest posts

Back