Is anyone running a grafting course?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I'm interested in learning a bit about queen grafting - Is anyone running a course this season?

Thanks, Roche

Give member gandalfwhitewizard a shout,he runs them in Kent.

I went along last year. It was good. they have a website. Google Teynham Bees.

The bottom line for grafting is you practise. You cannot really be taught it. It is a skill you learn, though FWIW a strong light source is a great help.

PH

pratcise, practice. practice and dont fool you self by going for the slightly bigger ones. the larva you can bareiy see are the ones you need to graft.
i did 60 grafts into 3 colonies in a litte over 30 minutes this eve.

oib3as.jpg

Those pictures look like cupkit though, where you don't graft???

You can still graft into the cell cups from a Jenter or similar and assemble for rearing. Not all of us have time to make beautiful bespoke wax ones :).

when i started off my queen rearing it was into cup kits, but i found it to time consuming so now i graft straight into the cups

At the risk of going off at a tangent the colour of the wax on queen cells is supposed to say something. Pale wax is newly made by the bees and is a good sign they were keen to raise that particular new queen. Dark wax is recycled and is less of a good sign. I don't think I have the experience to refute this or not but the different colour of the wax between cells in the photo above is marked.

the difference in the colour of the wax was that there was a honey flow on and they started to incase some of the cell in comb and i had to cut them out inorder for them to fit into their queen protecter cages

Sorry for the short notice but weather plays a big part!

We are running a queen rearing day this sunday the 27th June 10 at 9 am prompt!

Donations accepted to the Help for Heroes collection tin. The course will last all day and space is limited in numbers!

This will be a first come first served basis and again sadly another members of the armed forces lost his life today taking the total to 301!!

Not only will you be supporting a worthwhile charity you get to gain a few new queens out of it! Learn something new and have a relaxed enjoyable day with fellow beeks..

PM either me or Widdershins for details.

Latest posts

Back