Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Griffo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have a few litres of invert syrup which I bought last year and I’m just wondering if it will be OK to use. It looks and smells fine and has been kept in dark and cool conditions. Does this stuff go off?

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
It has a best before date but never seen any go off. I finished last year's a couple of weeks ago and just started on this year's a couple of days ago. There will be plenty left over for next year, no doubt.

Honey Junction Ltd 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
We have just finished a tank that was three years old, looked and smelled the same as when first delivered.
Trying another brand this year, its had vitamins and amino acids added, but even this has a 24 month best before date.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I usually buy a pallet full of next year's invert about now, in the past I've used some that's three or four years old - it's sugar, it doesn't go off!

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It has a best before date but never seen any go off. I finished last year's a couple of weeks ago and just started on this year's a couple of days ago. There will be plenty left over for next year, no doubt.
I usually buy a pallet full of next year's invert about now, in the past I've used some that's three or four years old - it's sugar, it doesn't go off!
And again ... As long as it is stored sealed up. Any leftovers I tend to put in containers that can be filled to the brim and sealed up rather than leaving it in part filled cans.

Latest posts