Introduction.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought I'd best say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I've been looking around on the forum for the last day or so looking at things that interest me or can answer some of my questions. I have been interested in bees since I left school. A couple of years ago I did the introductory course with Airedale Beek's Ass. The course didn't give me much more info than what I'd already read but It did help me understand the importance of cleanliness regarding diseases. I have re-joined the Association this year and am getting a bit more hands on at the club apiary.

Depends on how much of a beginner you are............I found it useful (looking back) to get my bees later in the year - I think it was July or August, 2 nucs and just played with them a bit and got them through the first winter. It's also not such a scramble for bees if you get them then, than it is if you're trying in April or May.............just a thought, others I'm sure will disagree with good valid arguments :)

Frisbee

i total agree with frisbee, plan to get nucs in june or july then you can have three or four months playing with something under ten thousand bees, if you buy a super bee nuc in aprill you will be doing swarm controll on your first year and other problems as well, i have only just set up my newbees with there nucs for these reasons

If you get a 5 frame nuc then size wise you will have double the amount of bees in a couple of weeks,Its a nice way to start.

Any less than 3 frames of brood and you could hit problems if the weather is not good.

5 frames Nuc is the way to travel around July time, then no complications until next year. By that time you should have learned alot and shall learn alot more, believe me!

Busy Bee

Welcome Hawklord hope you find your stay here pleasant :)

I agree with the others - a later start but with a decent sized Nuc should be most beneficial. Too small, and you may well lose them over winter.

Good luck with it all! Any questions, do just ask - you'll get several different view points!

What I'd really like to do is start with a queen and 1 frame of bees and watch it grow.

I agree with the others, at 1-2 frames, build up is going to be very slow. Don't forget that it's approximately 3 weeks from egg to adult bee and a single frame doesn't give the Queen (or you) much to do. at 3-4 frames (pref 5) you'll have a manageable colony that isn't going to be overwhelming in terms of numbers that you can learn from and grow with.

Latest posts

Back