Introduction: Woodside Bees.....a new venture.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.....I think I made a mistake. I should have 'blogged' my intentions and plans here, before saying anything on the general forum.
This is me: 62 years old. previously a manager in the care-industry. Before that, 20+years as a landscaper/builder. Ran my own business.
Before that, trained as an artist. Huntin' shootin' an' fishin' all my life....often for a livin'! Came to beekeeping later than I should have, given the opportunities I had for that, 25 years ago! Wrong time.....wrong place perhaps?
Now.....unemployed....unemployable. Will retire in a few years, so thought.......GO FOR IT AS A BEEKEEPER!!!!!
I was ready to set up a beekeeping venture over three years ago, but a series of medical mishaps and bad luck delayed this, till now.
This was the plan.....this is STILL the plan:

I set up an apiary, totally separate from the other two apiaries I have. They can always be a 'back-up,' but I do not want them to be commercially dependable to the new venture.
On my 'personal information' page on here, I said that I had 20 hives. This was based on an average over the last 8/9 years.
At the time of writing I have on my old (non-pro apiaries) 6 full hives + 6 nuclei that are already very strong. They will be transferred into full hives very soon.
The 'Woodside Bees' project is made up of 10 nuclei. They will be the subject of this blog. I sent a thread: 'When is a six frame nuc not a six frame nuc?' Did this cause trouble or what? LOL, lt was closed down by admin, due to the controversy! Sensitive? It also lead to questions, by some, as to my honesty.
Anyhow.....most of the 'Woodside' colonies have surpassed themselves so much, that I added supers to their hives already, last week. Yes ladies and gents, they are fully functioning hives already, due to the abundance of food for them. I changed the amount of hives I had from 11.....to six earlier this year, due to losses. Then I changed it to 20 hives last week, due to additions.
If there is a question to be asked here it is: How many hives have I had.....do I have.....WILL I have, in the previous and future season? If more than twenty, then some people should be ashamed of what they have been saying about my beekeeping 'providence?'
I am NOT lying. Watch this space! LOL

Latest posts

Back