Introducing The Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hive

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello beekeepers!

I would like to introduce our new directory of UK beekeepers - The Hive - and invite you to create a listing.

The aim of The Hive is simple, to help people find local beekeepers, buy their honey and find out more about their work. The project is still in its infancy, but we hope that it will develop into a valuable resource to connect beekeepers with their local communities.

We want to give members of the Beekeeping Forum the opportunity to be part of the first group of users. Creating a listing is quick and easy, and completely free of charge. Users have control over the amount of information they share, and may edit or delete their listings at any time.

If you are interested, please message us with your email address and we'll send you details.

We hope you enjoy using The Hive and look forward to seeing you there.

TheHive_small.png

Hello beekeepers!

I would like to introduce our new directory of UK beekeepers - The Hive - and invite you to create a listing.

The aim of The Hive is simple, to help people find local beekeepers, buy their honey and find out more about their work. The project is still in its infancy, but we hope that it will develop into a valuable resource to connect beekeepers with their local communities.

We want to give members of the Beekeeping Forum the opportunity to be part of the first group of users. Creating a listing is quick and easy, and completely free of charge. Users have control over the amount of information they share, and may edit or delete their listings at any time.

If you are interested, please message us with your email address and we'll send you details.

We hope you enjoy using The Hive and look forward to seeing you there.

View attachment 24857

Hello,

"The Hive " - sounds like a central heating control system ;).

" The aim of The Hive is simple, to help people find local beekeepers, buy their honey and find out more about their work. " - sounds very noble.

So are there any plans to monitise "The Hive" and take a % of sales like eBay, or cash in on add rev like GTree?

Might I also ask how you came to be part of this protect, are you working alone and have you kept bees before?

In spite of my cynicism (sorry am a just cynical person) I am interested.

Hello,

" The aim of The Hive is simple, to help people find local beekeepers, buy their honey and find out more about their work. " - sounds very noble.

So are there any plans to monitise "The Hive" and take a % of sales like eBay, or cash in on add rev like GTree?

Might I also ask how you came to be part of this protect, are you working alone and have you kept bees before?

In spite of my cynicism (sorry am a just cynical person) I am interested.

I'm with you on the cynical, sounds like an app that will help thieves find out where there are hives .....

I'm with you on the cynical, sounds like an app that will help thieves find out where there are hives .....

I did not even consider that angle.

I looked at their page. It seems its some kind of ethical food thing, I did not dig far as I thought I would wait and see if I got any answers first.

I did not even consider that angle.

I looked at their page. It seems its some kind of ethical food thing, I did not dig far as I thought I would wait and see if I got any answers first.

Behind every ethical sheep lies a wolf , or as they say in silicon valley "if the product is free you are the product "I'm happy to be wrong but there will prob be a fee somewhere

Hello,
I recently got a'Hive' for my hot water stuff. Incomprehensible gadget for this old fart (bit like mobiles too!!) but it seems to do a reasonable job as compared with the manual timer box out in the garage as I can do all the settings while watching TV. As for the other Hive site - take a running jump - this place is more than enough for me. :D :D:D

To be fair though, every time you sell a jar of legally labelled honey you give out your address to someone you didn't know five minutes ago (unless they're a repeat customer) and that jar can go anywhere from them so it's a small risk.

The bigger risk even if you generalise your location however it's published is that with the advent of google maps it's very easy to scan the local area of an address and see a neat line of white dots that would be a good assumption to be bee hives. I assume a determined thief would be dedicated enough to do this. A concealed address may put off the more casual thieves, although you will never protect against the chancer that get's lucky.

To be fair though, every time you sell a jar of legally labelled honey you give out your address to someone you didn't know five minutes ago (unless they're a repeat customer) and that jar can go anywhere from them so it's a small risk.

The bigger risk even if you generalise your location however it's published is that with the advent of google maps it's very easy to scan the local area of an address and see a neat line of white dots that would be a good assumption to be bee hives. I assume a determined thief would be dedicated enough to do this. A concealed address may put off the more casual thieves, although you will never protect against the chancer that get's lucky.

I never thought of that ,camo net on then 😂

I agree, I dont think security is a huge concern with The Hive.

Still no answers, so my concern now is that the The Hives creators are perhaps not that committed to the project.

I have no issue with The Hive being monetized, but would like to understand witch model they intend to use, so I can make my own choice to join or not.

But I do take mild issue with presenting the project as a charitable endeavor to help bee keepers, if it is in fact a profit generating venture. (I know I am probably just being overly pedantic)

But without any answers from the OP we are just left guessing anyway!!!

From my emails from Bob, I understood that the Hive was an add on to their other site and was not going to be monetised. If I wanted more customers I would join but as I can get rid of every jar I produce locally it isn't worth it for me.

Unless the punter is after a specific regional or monofloral honey, I don't really see the point of a national website to connect locals to local honey producers. Certainly in the SE (and I suspect most of the country) there are plenty of Deli's, farm shops and farmers markets selling local honey

Unless the punter is after a specific regional or monofloral honey, I don't really see the point of a national website to connect locals to local honey producers. Certainly in the SE (and I suspect most of the country) there are plenty of Deli's, farm shops and farmers markets selling local honey
I do agree re deli and farm shops but if I sell wholesale my price reduces, if I sell from out side my house I get the full price.

There's another site I can across recently that makes a bit more sense although they don't have a specific honey section and that's

https://seasonarians.co.uk/
They're more into the seasonality of food and trying to encourage people to buy locally grown food as opposed to supermarket food.

Latest posts

Back