Introducing a queen cell to a split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
I'm gearing up to create some splits into which I'll introduce a queen cell from grafts using my nicest bees. As I don't know how many takes I'll get I'm nervous about creating the nucs until I know that. Do I need to create the nuc, wait 8 days, knock down any queen cells and then introduce my cell, or can I create and introduce on the same day?

You can create and make the same day but I’d only do that if you can’t avoid it. If bees are from different hives than the cell raiser add protection at the least.

Thanks for that - some will be from different hives to the cell raiser. I can add protection.

Here's my situation...perhaps you could help me with timings?
  • July 15: cell builder created. Primarily frames of capped brood, but some eggs / larvae have snuck in. Nuc currently drawing out some queen cells.
  • July 20: Destroy QC's & graft
  • July 22: check takes.
  • July 22: create splits based on takes
  • July 27 / 28: Destroy any Queen cells in nucs & put QC in
The last day I can do anything is the 29th as not around after that. Any of the dates above in the future are flexible.

Being my first time i'm not sure i need to wait for & destroy QC's or not? If i don't though, could those cells emerge & kill 'my' Queen, or would she sort them out before they emerge?

In an ideal world you’d destroy cells in the nucs leaving larvae to old to make cells giving the bees little choice. In most instances and in nucs emerged virgins will destroy rogue cells but there’s always the odd 1 that may chuck a small swarm or perhaps do away with the chosen queen although rarely. What your trying to do is ensure they have no choice but your cell/queen. For protection you can wrap in a strip of foil just leaving the tip exposed, often better than cell protectors alone. I still use the cell protectors as there handy for holding cells on comb. Handle cells very!!!!!! carefully particularly if earlier than normal.

Thanks for that - very useful. I'm aware my timeline isn't perfect in more ways than one, still, I'll do what I can and be better next time.

Latest posts

Back