Intriguing products?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Boston Bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
10-20
I saw these on the Abelo website and am just wondering what people think of them? I hasten to add I am not affiliated with Abelo! But as someone who doesn't particularly like trying to capture queens and put them in little cages (due to a lack of skill) I was wondering how I could use these? One of them takes a single national frame and stops access to all bees (i.e. it would be used as a queen introduction mechanism, just with a lot more bees and brood rather than just the queen I guess), the other takes two national frames and stops the queen escaping but allows bees in (so, more for controlling the amount of brood - but when/why would you do this?)

Could these be useful? If so, how? Or are they just a gimmick? TIA!

National Queen Trap - Welcome to Abelo's Beekeeping Supplies

National Queen Cage Introducer - Welcome to Abelo's Beekeeping Supplies

Apple 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Look very much like the drone trap suggested as a method of Varroa removal some time ago.

I have successfully used it to get larvae of correct age for grafting..... exclude queen from brood for a week.
Reintroduce queen who lays up new eggs over one day... exclude queen again ,,, remove frame after three days,,, graft the new larvae into starter cells.......

Not a bad price......

Chons da

Boston Bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
10-20
Look very much like the drone trap suggested as a method of Varroa removal some time ago.

I have successfully used it to get larvae of correct age for grafting..... exclude queen from brood for a week.
Reintroduce queen who lays up new eggs over one day... exclude queen again ,,, remove frame after three days,,, graft the new larvae into starter cells.......

Not a bad price......

Chons da
Thanks.

Yes, I can see how that would work.

I don't graft personally, or remove drones, so that particular use wouldn't help me, but I will keep thinking! Always tempted by a new gadget ....

Ian123 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Ones a queen trap for isolation of the queen as apple said above the other is effectively a large introduction cage. None help you catch or pick up the queen.

Boston Bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
10-20
None help you catch or pick up the queen.
Well, they do don't they, because you can just pick up the frame she is on and put it in the cage? Though, assuming that quite a few workers are also on that frame, I am not sure how that would go down in the hive you are introducing the cage to ...

Last edited:

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Well, they do don't they, because you can just pick up the frame she is on and put it in the cage? Though, assuming that quite a few workers are also on that frame, I am not sure how that would go down in the hive you are introducing the cage to ...
The first one is simply a queen trap to isolate the queen so you have a virtually broodless hive as part of your varroa IPM.
The second cage, well, looks like a pretty pointless exercise. If you are transferring queens from hive to hive within an apiary fair enugh (still not convinced though) if you are buying in a queen, I think the idea is you dunp her on a bee free frame with some emerging brood and keep them in the cage for a few days. Not convinced though, just put her in the hive in her travelling cage.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
They say you can introduce a laying queen into a hive without a cage. I’ve never had the nerve to though.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
They say you can introduce a laying queen into a hive without a cage. I’ve never had the nerve to though.
Yes some do but it’s laying queen for laying queen not 1 that’s been in transit, also fine with quiet calm bees it’s not worked for me on those that are a little spicy!!

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Yes some do but it’s laying queen for laying queen not 1 that’s been in transit
Yes I know that. Somebody mentioned taking a frame with the queen on out of one hive and introducing her into another with this gizmo. I posted in that context.

elainemary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives

Not a bad price......

Chons da
Like this idea. I tried cell punching last year, for queen rearing and to punch effectively you need the queen to lay up an older comb (cells more rigid than a new comb so easier to handle, remove punches and push into a cup on a graft bar). Added an old empty frame into the brood box and came back 4 days later, hoping the queen had laid it up, with some 1 day old larvae on. She had but I can see how this will guarantee the timing is right.

hemo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
I have done it, the queen has to be like for like so layer for a layer and clipped if already clipped.. A dunk in honey (well and truly covered) to take their minds off the fact she has changed and place her on the top bars or a bit of card or similar before she is cleaned up and disappears down. Don't faff about making them QL, be prepped and an instant swap. By the time they have cleaned her up she is accepted as if nothing has happened.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have done it, the queen has to be like for like so layer for a layer and clipped if already clipped.. A dunk in honey (well and truly covered) to take their minds off the fact she has changed and place her on the top bars or a bit of card or similar before she is cleaned up and disappears down. Don't faff about making them QL, be prepped and an instant swap. By the time they have cleaned her up she is accepted as if nothing has happened.
I might take a deep breath and try.

hemo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
I might take a deep breath and try.
A local beek friend was visiting Bulgaria one year and no matter which country he is in, he visits other beeks to learn some of their ways. The beek he met said he had 100% intro rate using honey dunking.
My friend tried it and had success with no failures, admittedly I have only tried three times but all three were successful.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
A local beek friend was visiting Bulgaria one year and no matter which country he is in, he visits other beeks to learn some of their ways. The beek he met said he had 100% intro rate using honey dunking.
My friend tried it and had success with no failures, admittedly I have only tried three times but all three were successful.
As used by my friend from Bulgaria, he swears by it.

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
I saw these on the Abelo website and am just wondering what people think of them? I hasten to add I am not affiliated with Abelo! But as someone who doesn't particularly like trying to capture queens and put them in little cages (due to a lack of skill) I was wondering how I could use these? One of them takes a single national frame and stops access to all bees (i.e. it would be used as a queen introduction mechanism, just with a lot more bees and brood rather than just the queen I guess), the other takes two national frames and stops the queen escaping but allows bees in (so, more for controlling the amount of brood - but when/why would you do this?)

Could these be useful? If so, how? Or are they just a gimmick? TIA!

National Queen Trap - Welcome to Abelo's Beekeeping Supplies

National Queen Cage Introducer - Welcome to Abelo's Beekeeping Supplies
Many, many much cheaper Q catchers. I have only ever used the 'crown of thorns' thingy for clipping and marking. Sorry that I believe clipping to be a sensible precaution FOR ME!! You are free to do what you prefer and I have no problem with that my friends.

Latest posts