Interesting sites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
Hi, not sure where this should go so I'll put it here for now.

I've come across a few interesting sites on my travels across the WWW, it would be good if there was some where to post them for others to see (maybe there already is but I've not come across it yet). Some site have a links page but I know it can be a bit of a nightmare to administer them, broken links and the like.

So here's one to start the ball rolling,
http://www.beebehavior.com/
Always interesting to see how folk deal with extremes of weather.

Mike

What those Aussies will do to export bees into new markets. NASA not taking any chances with stinging bees eh? It could be just the answer to that Martian arthritis problem. :)

I went and had a look at the beebehaviour site. The first page I looked at had the unsubstanstiated Einstein quote, so it kinda lost it's credibility to me.

Frisbee

I agree, interesting may not be correct, but interesting in the same way as looking over your fence and watching your neighbour cutting their lawn with a pair of nail clippers. Mind you if their ‘lawn’ is only100x100mm then it might be a lot neater and quicker to do than your half hectare on a sit down mower! Any way some one who can get his bees thou a –20c winter must be doing something right, I think.

With the bees in space, I can’t get my head around the idea that they seem happy to spend millions of pounds making the perfect self sustaining bio sphere in space and not spend it on the bees on earth.

*Gets off homemade soapbox made from recycled crates to hug the nearest tree only to find he chopped the tree down last week to make the crates….:(*

I agree, interesting may not be correct, but interesting in the same way as looking over your fence and watching your neighbour cutting their lawn with a pair of nail clippers. Mind you if their ‘lawn’ is only100x100mm then it might be a lot neater and quicker to do than your half hectare on a sit down mower! Any way some one who can get his bees thou a –20c winter must be doing something right, I think.

Huh???????

Sorry - you've lost me. I didn't read any of it. The first page I looked at about North American bee losses had the "Einstein" quote as it's heading and I suddenly lost interest in it. If people want you to take them seriously then they must get their facts right. If their heading is an untruth what else can we believe or disbelieve? I prefered not to read it.

If I wanted to get bees through a -20 winter, I would be speaking to Finman.

Frisbee

If I wanted to get bees through a -20 winter, I would be speaking to Finman.

Frisbee

Thats one of the problems with the internet,you have to be very aware regards some of the beekeeping info thats available.

There is nothing like good old experience to learn from and like you say Finman is the one to ask regards beekeeping in sub zero temps,I think it would be right to call him an expert.

I have lost count of the amount of Beekeeping reserch papers I have got half way through reading only to discover its a load of baloney,I think we can leave it to another forum to chat for hours on end regards the science of beekeeping rather than the hands on stuff at the coal face in the real world.

OK Frisbee, what sites do you find interesting or go back to time and again to inspire you?

Mike

There is a huge amount of rubbish written on the net and not a little written by me..LOL.

As for a daft quote putting me off, never.

Bee wise there is one very solid site with loads of good info and that is Dave Cushman's.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/newhome.html

For which Dave if you happen on this here is a hearty vote of thanks.

PH

OK Frisbee, what sites do you find interesting or go back to time and again to inspire you?

Mike

Sorry.......I do realise I'm being difficult:ack2:. The trouble is being a newish beek I could read something like that and it could be a load of twaddle and because I know no better I might believe it so I erred on the side of caution.

To be quite honest I don't go on an awful lot of sites on the internet, most of what I look at is forums such as this but all to do with my hobbies, so there's beekeeping, poultry keeping, dancing, cooking and skiing to name a few........if push came to shove and I had to name the last scientific thing I looked at it would be to do with cow fertility but even on that, one paper will tell you one thing and another will contradict it.........but I know enough about that to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'm very practical and take things at face value and I don't understand allegorical imagery at all, which is why I was completely lost with your scissors/grass cutting thingy :confused: I have to be careful otherwise i will get a wrong meaning.

So sorry - I'll go and read it :grouphug:

Frisbee

Apologies Frisbee if my last post was a bit sharp.

Taking a step back, what I was trying to do was start a thread about sites which people might not have come across but have interesting ideas behind them.

As a network administrator, I trawl the net for a lot of different things and have an eye for those sites which seem to have had some time and energy put into them. If some one has made that much effort I feel it I should find some time to look into it. If they are not selling anything then all the better. I found this because it has a review of poly boxes, something talked about on this site but which I know little about (I know I should ask Poly Hive and I will when I have a idea of what it’s all about). I just like to see what else is going on in the world.

When I first started in beekeeping some three years ago, one experienced ‘old boy’ told me that if you asked 12 beekeepers the same question you would get 14 different answers! That’s not to say any of them are wrong just there are lots of ways of achieving the same thing.

Happy trawling.

Mike

No need to apologise.........I didn't read it as "sharp" and in any case I do sharp quite well myself :)

I have been back and read several pages, some of it appears to have been written in 2005 and it's also American, but yes as you say it's not trying to sell anything. It was interesting to see the colour of the bees on the flowers, quite ginger, mine are all really dark.

You are right about the questions and answers, it's the same on here too.

Frisbee

DG?

There are far far more than 14 ways of doing anyting to do with bees.

However.............there are not so many good ways to do the same thing, and far fewer elegant ways.

By elegant I mean going with the desires of the colony, not causing stress and helping the "girls" achieve what THEY want.

We are never bee Masters, we are in fact and this is a hard one for the egoists, we are but bee servants.

As for Poly Hives they are just simply better accommodation for bees. No more and no less. If the vendors in the UK who between them run over 3000 hives, and yes I can count, they would be all poly and both are investing in that direction as fast as they can.

PH

I quite like that site. Especially this classic line under the 'some video clips' link:

<<Making a queen sell cups at home (video with sound)>>

:smilielol5:

G.

Believe it some one would buy them and then someone would say yes but you are buying in disease.... sigh...

PH

Latest posts

Back