Interesting observation - Dambusters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essexgary

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all - I was watching my bees come and go this morning, overhead I noticed a bee which looked to be holding something big. It dropped to the ground about a foot infront of me, along with its cargo. The cargo was deposited on the grass and then the bee flew off again. On closer inspection of the cargo it was another bee, which was walking around in a state of bewilderment - I looked close and noticed its wings were somewhat damaged, a bit shreded. It was an amazing spectacle, but I was wondering what caused this...

I was thinking a rougue trader that may have tried to enter my hive - it clearly looks like there was a 'punch-up'...:sport-smiley-002: any ideas?
Gary

Bees remove dead and dying bees away from the hive. They are surprisingly strong. At this time of year they are often throwing out drones.

Bees remove dead and dying bees away from the hive. They are surprisingly strong. At this time of year they are often throwing out drones.

Definately wasn't a drone. I just wondered about the sorry state of its wings...

Older bees often have damaged wings... of course varroa causes damaged wings too. Was the bee young and fluffy or old and a bit greasy looking? If the former, worth checking your varroa tray.

Not knowing exactly, I would be checking carefully for varroa mites, particularly checking for bees with similar wings, alive in the hive.

Regards, RAB

Not knowing exactly, I would be checking carefully for varroa mites, particularly checking for bees with similar wings, alive in the hive.

Regards, RAB

Just had a super quick inspection... didn't want to hang about too long as they only went into the hive yesterday. 3 varroa mites on the inspection board. All the bees looked healthy - no signs of wing damage. queen spotted, plenty of eggs, larvae and capped brood. I was going to varroa treat in about 2 weeks time. Should I do it next week?

Thanks guys.
Gary

Perhaps just damaged wings they have been moved around quite a bit over the last couple of days and they need time to settle in.

Latest posts

Back