Interesting Day in the Apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm getting too old for this. First year beekeeping. Failing colony. Introduced new queen today. Then a long ordered nuc that I had given up hope on turned up. So now I've got to get that through the winter. Oh for pete's sake. :willy_nilly:

Did you pay good money for a nuc at this time of year?

Had no idea, but it went to a newbie at our club.

Never sold one yet. Don't others help out newbies?

Good.

I'd give a swarm anytime if it means it has a chance of multiplying the bee population.

Well, if I get a late one this year, or a surplus one next year, do you want it?

Well, not sure how much you pay for a swarm, but if you want one, and will collect, it's yours.

Hastiliy revises game plan.

But, I offerd KG one if he collects, and I'll stand by that.

I give away swarms to any in my Assoc- but if they are very inexperienced I like to bring on the swarm to 5 frame with 3 of it brood - just to be sure- then I charge. Collected about 15 this year

I sold a nuc for good money last week, it is still in my apiary and I checked it yesterday and is on five frames of brood and getting on nicely.

I am quite confident it will get through the winter even if it's another stinker like last years. Then again it was mainly a dry winter which makes a massive odds to the bees, it's not the cold that doest the damage but the wet.

PH

Keith,
Is it a big fat nuc absolutely full of bees and brood? Queen been laying for several weeks.
I would hope so at this time of year.

The supplier could have asked if you really wanted it and offer to overwinter or refund if it's very late.

There is a legal phrase "Time is considered to be the essence of this order" Put it on the order and state a delivery date. If the order has been accepted - and I would say that receipt of payment is acceptance - and item has not been delivered by the date stated you have the right to get the same product from elsewhere and if more expensive, get the diffrence from the original supplier.

A good nuc should overwinter OK though, especially in your capable hands!

I've got 4 full nucs that are going into 8 frame boxes to overwinter. That size should do them nicely.

Latest posts

Back