Interesting bee facts for kids

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,
I have been asked to present to my daughter’s class about bees and pollination. If anyone has any interesting facts or photos they would like to share, I would be grateful for them. It’s for a class of 10 year olds. Thanks

I did this a number of years ago when my children were younger (7/8 yo). Can't find the presentation at the moment, but I will DM you if I can. Plenty of pictures on the web to use. From memory, I asked the children what they knew about bees, then pointed out foods that require pollination for production, finally some high level background on bees and looking after then. I also brought in some bees suits, drawn wax and honey for the children to handle and try. Teacher confirmed they were all OK to have honey and provided toast soldiers :)

Don't forget it isn't just about honey bees.
Humble bees and solitary bees are equally important, for solitary bees a simple block of wood with 3mm - 7mm holes drilled in is ideal for a simple home for solitary bees (placed on a southerly aspect) to raise new bees for the next season.
A simple bundle of Bamboo of various sizes will also work for solitary bees.

One thing above all to mention is that left alone all bees generally are harmless and won't sting unless handled or a nest is disturbed. Watching nearby and being still can be interesting.

In the garden this week I have watched carefully while tidying and planting, I have located three ground nests of Humble bees near to or under sheds by simply watching bees coming and going. Even for children if they are patient back at home in the garden they may be able to spot one or two bees going into a nest.

Don't know if this will be helpful, but my BBKA News just landed on the doormat, and on the Highlights page they've announced that they've created 'Bees in the Curriculum' resources for KS1 and KS2 children. I haven't looked properly yet to see if it's any good, but apparently there are lots of downloads, resources and videos.
https://www.bbka.org.uk/Listing/Category/bees-in-the-curriculum

I use a photo of a supermarket fruit and veg section when talking about the importance of bees in pollination. I then show the same photo with all the items blanked out that would no longer be available if we didn’t have our bee pollinators. Scary stuff! Got the idea from Dave Goulson when I went to one of his talks

Tesco produced a whole host of these under their Farm to Fork. If any use but you can't find them pm me as we have them archived.
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.23.04.png

Tesco produced a whole host of these under their Farm to Fork. If any use but you can't find them pm me as we have them archived.
View attachment 25647
They've missed the bit where they bring it in bulk from china, pasteurise it, put it through a microfilter to mask the origin then add a good dollop of sugar syrup to bulk it out

Back