Interesting article on Insulation/Ventilation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, I witnessed it first hand by a MBK at a club where Derek came to give his exceptional presentation. Another sad day for the craft. As the saying goes, There's none so blind as those who won't see!
For those who wonder what and who we are talking about, this piece explains his research. At the top, it states that he is (in September 2019) a PhD candidate. Anybody know if he got his doctorate?

CVB

Interesting article on winter insulation in this month's Beeculture magazine (as well as a mention of Wedmores 'findings' on ventilation).

https://www.beeculture.com/winter-management/

A new keeper in one of our local associations FB groups asked a newbie question about insulating a hive and included a question about cutting holes in the insulation above the porter bee escapes for ventilation. Horrifyingly one of the "knowledgeable" members waxed lyrical about the benefits of winter ventilation. Until that moment I had considered the "knowledgeable" member to be sensible but I'm now revising my opinion.
Yes I have pointed the new keeper at this forum and mentioned Derek Mitchell's exceptional research.🤔

A new keeper in one of our local associations FB groups asked a newbie question about insulating a hive and included a question about cutting holes in the insulation above the porter bee escapes for ventilation. Horrifyingly one of the "knowledgeable" members waxed lyrical about the benefits of winter ventilation. Until that moment I had considered the "knowledgeable" member to be sensible but I'm now revising my opinion.
Yes I have pointed the new keeper at this forum and mentioned Derek Mitchell's exceptional research.🤔
Yes I used to do a bit if that at meetings. Listen to the lecture then take the odd beginner aside and give them the correct answer 😂

My daughter works in student support in the engineering department at the University of Leeds. If he needs any support he only has to ask.
Can she give him any beekeeping lessons😉

Back