Interesting article on Insulation/Ventilation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE="Anduril, post: 795122, member:
Another interesting one from Etienne Tardif
[/QUOTE]

Jep. Winter temps under -40C - - 45C near the border of Alaska in Yuokon. First map

Look, what kind is the pruce forest use to be before tundra zone. Such forest we have at the top of Finland.

British beekeepers cannot have no idea, what the climate is to beekeeping

Interesting article on winter insulation in this month's Beeculture magazine (as well as a mention of Wedmores 'findings' on ventilation).

https://www.beeculture.com/winter-management/
Well ... perhaps the stalwarts are are finally catching up with what most of us on here have known and have been preaching for many years ...

William Hesbach is an EAS Certified Master Beekeeper and sideline beekeeper in Cheshire, CT.

Interesting article on winter insulation in this month's Beeculture magazine (as well as a mention of Wedmores 'findings' on ventilation).

https://www.beeculture.com/winter-management/
An interesting article that leans heavily on the work of Derek Mitchell, formerly of this parish, who was driven away by numpties who attacked his science with hearsay and prejudice - seems to be a recurring theme on the internet, doesn't it?

The article was dated OCTOBER 21, 2016 so not this month's issue of Bee Culture.

The author of the piece, William Hesbach, says, in relation to sleeves of rigid insulation "For the sleeve’s rectangular dimensions, just measure your boxes and add one inch to both measurements". That gives a half inch gap all the way round the brood box, which in my opinion is a wide enough gap for air currents (convection) to be set up, resulting in heat loss out of the gap at the bottom. He talks about supporting the insulation sleeves -"I install a small shelf of wood that supports the foam and keeps everything at the correct height" but he does not say if this is continuous around the base of his sleeves, thereby sealing the bottom of the gap between the sleeve and the brood box.

My own hive cosies are the dimensioned only 10mm greater than the external dimensions of the brood box and I think 5mm all round the brood box is small enough to prevent heat losses due to convection currents.

CVB

Well ... perhaps the stalwarts are are finally catching up with what most of us on here have known and have been preaching for many years ...
...and I rather suspect that the hive shown at the top of the article may not be an all American Langsroth

Notwithstanding its date, it still is relevant, informative and I thought well written. Didn't preach or pontificate, just set out what is/was.

@CVB - I would guess the ledge referred to would be all around so a "dead air space" gets created.

An interesting article that leans heavily on the work of Derek Mitchell, formerly of this parish, who was driven away by numpties who attacked his science with hearsay and prejudice - seems to be a recurring theme on the internet, doesn't it?

The article was dated OCTOBER 21, 2016 so not this month's issue of Bee Culture.

The author of the piece, William Hesbach, says, in relation to sleeves of rigid insulation "For the sleeve’s rectangular dimensions, just measure your boxes and add one inch to both measurements". That gives a half inch gap all the way round the brood box, which in my opinion is a wide enough gap for air currents (convection) to be set up, resulting in heat loss out of the gap at the bottom. He talks about supporting the insulation sleeves -"I install a small shelf of wood that supports the foam and keeps everything at the correct height" but he does not say if this is continuous around the base of his sleeves, thereby sealing the bottom of the gap between the sleeve and the brood box.

My own hive cosies are the dimensioned only 10mm greater than the external dimensions of the brood box and I think 5mm all round the brood box is small enough to prevent heat losses due to convection currents.

CVB

I agree about making them a tight fit. When making them I use a stack of boxes as a jig and assemble the insulation slabs on a flat floor; that was posted somewhere on this forum. When they are placed in the real situation this relies on you having consistently sized boxes throughout and sliding them on can involve a bit of "persuasion". So I understand why most people prefer them to be a "comfort-fit". ;)

Even if someone managed to create a consistent air-gap which was sealed from the external air, with timber boxes, unless that gap was properly sealed top and bottom the insulation gains would be greatly reduced and condensation may form in the gap.

I find that with Abelo floors, the side abutments of the external ledge will support the cosy and stop it from blocking the entrance. I don't want to put fixings into the boxes for securing a ledge or batten, so I use a couple short lengths of timber wedged between the hive stand and the cosy to prop it from sliding down.

DerekM, whatever his merits, wasn't driven anywhere.
You hadn’t joined the forum till after Derek left. There was one particular ex member who used to attempt to annihilate Derek the moment he put fingers to keyboard. Sometimes I wonder who you really are?

Derek Mitchell backs up his suggestions and observations using facts and sciency stuff. Most times around here, when people don't like alternative or new ideas, they demand that the poster gives a link to "the evidence". Even though that is Derek's instinctive way to describe things he always seemed to end up fighting from a corner. It was a sort of Luddite response from some people. His delivery can be a bit dry and humourless, but there are plenty of jokers around here who make up for the occasional serious person....come back our Derek.

That's odd, because I can find lots of posts by him from as recently as March 2021, and I joined six months or so before that, as my profile clearly indicates.
You are correct. There WAS a flurry of posts in March. So I retract my first sentence with apologies.

CVB

Sadly, I witnessed it first hand by a MBK at a club where Derek came to give his exceptional presentation. Another sad day for the craft. As the saying goes, There's none so blind as those who won't see!

Latest posts

Back