Insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have searched threads but subject gets lost in conversation.

Does anyone avoid BBKA and get their public liability to £5m and BDI somewhere else at a sensible premium??

I think Admin was looking into this, did you ever get a response Admin ?

Not yet,and he has recently had flu. Seems more than man flu if his silence is anything to go by:(

I think many are looking elsewhere , I mean - just what do we get from BBKA except insurance, words, waffle and paperwork. masses of points of order, but when we need a little cash help etc - zilch.

How much is your Assoc annual fee. We charge £22, so only retaining £5.50 pep person p.a., ther rest going to BBKA and county-

Last edited:
leicestershire & rutland beekeepers ass't use yhe NFU for insurance
£2.5 mill cover but no foul brood cover

And those of you who are part of an Association what is your annual subs fee, or is it £22 across the UK. It leaves naff all for the local Association, when BBKA has their cut - and do you have another payment on the night when you attend winter meetings on top of this annual fee??

Mine are £30 due next Jan, however, i have not been to any meetings in 2009 so am wondering why i should bother renewing next year.

meetings were always free, just stuck a few pence in a pot for coffee.

This forum has given me more help than i have had from them, and its free.

Last edited:
And those of you who are part of an Association what is your annual subs fee, or is it £22 across the UK. It leaves naff all for the local Association, when BBKA has their cut - and do you have another payment on the night when you attend winter meetings on top of this annual fee??

Oooohhhh don't ask me technical stuff :) I just pay the money. I can't go to any meetings because they are on a Tuesday night and I'm busy with other commitments then, so I just went on the course 4 years ago and pay the dosh.........and I know they got their own insurance cos that happened about the time I joined............Plumber will know more than me :hat:

Frisbee

link to L&RBKA

http://www.lrbka.org/index.html

reg as UK charity

gift aid for subs

has two apiaries north and south of city

membership £18 per annum plus £10 joining fee

monthly meets winter

couses in spring at apiaries

not positive but belive nucs also available

Just joined Gwent BKA - £21/annum full membership, £9.50/annum associate membership. Beginners course = £15.50. Beginners course for 2010 is over subscribed, so they are considering running two courses concurently.

Monthly meetings - apiary in summer, village hall with speaker in winter.

I attended the AGM yesterday - after the boring stuff there was a very interesting talk and slide show from Brian Sherriff "Beekeeping around the world".

Paul

Wow,Repwoc- am sure it was oversubscribed at such a low fee. I anticipate charging double that

So with that £21 pa -do you then pay monthly to listen to a speaker in the hired hall??. If not, how does your Assoc make ends meet as they can only retain £5p.a. for their own finances.

Have you a large out apiary with good honey sales?

One question you may wish to ask Heather is how much goes to the County and what does it do for you?

This is why some associations are "direct" - i.e they are not part of the County so don't pay a county levy.

If you are part of the County then going independent is not easy but it can be done.

I'm a new beek so I'm only passing on what I've been told.
I have no personal experience of this.

Beginners course = £15.50. Beginners course for 2010 is over subscribed

No wonder it is oversubscribed, that's a fraction of what many associations are charging, or more correctly are having to charge to try and reduce demand as association benefits to existing members and particularly those just beyond the beginner stage are in danger of being compromised. It's not working though, beginners keep coming in droves. I blame the Beehaus and Einstein.

I was going to have a chat with the Omlet Beehaus guys and a demo on Saturday.
THEY NEVER TURNED UP!!!

So with that £21 pa -do you then pay monthly to listen to a speaker in the hired hall??. If not, how does your Assoc make ends meet as they can only retain £5p.a. for their own finances.

Have you a large out apiary with good honey sales?

According to the accounts, subs=£2551.65, capitation=£1386.00. Not sure how they reconcile the subs figure, but there seems to be more than 24% left over. All subs are gift-aided too so there is additional cash from HMRC. No mention of additional meeting charges - just the usual raffle.

There is an out apiary but not much honey produced apparently. I don't know how big it is because I haven't been yet - there's a picture here http://www.gbka.co.uk/apiary.htm. Could be ~6 hives I suppose.

Paul

Next renewal due imminently is 24 quid if I recall correctly, 7 quid to the local association, 3 quid to the county with 14 quid to the BBKA, of which 2 quid is for third party liability insurance and 12 quid is for miscellaneous purposes.

That 12 quid gets me a copy of BBKA news four times a year, a laminated membership card, and ensures that the BBKA continues to have a cosy relationship with pesticide companies ....:confused::confused::confused:

Locally there is nothing extra payable for winter meetings (nor any meetings) courses for beginners currently seem to be a significant source of income for the local association, much more so than membership fees and the meagre income from the association shop.

Assuming we could independently, either as a local or county get liability insurance for 2 quid, then that wasted 12 quid a year across the 800 county members could provide us with some significant infrastructure, or training, or something other than funding a 'national' association that very often appears to be doing its own thing. And it's not just 12 quid is it, hell it's what, 16 quid to get into Stoneleigh? That can't be a loss making exercise can it?

The other day I accidentally turned up this from 2003-2005 on the pesticide issue.

http://www.moraybeekeepers.co.uk/N&Views/Durham.htm

Nothing changes does it. :(

Latest posts

Back